The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
gotmud

Unhappy Any Electricians in Atlanta?

Went out for another ride yesterday and noticed cars in the rear view mirror get real close when I slow to turn. Ive never been one to use turn signals but on the last few trips I guess I noticed the same behavior.

Got home and lo and behold no lights on the bed work. The front flashers and headlights work as does the dome light....but no brakes, rear turn signals, or rear flashers.

When I put on the turn signal the arrow light on the dash turns solid as does the front turn signal...but it says on and doesnt flash. The rear turn signal never lights up for anything.

Any idears?
(64 C/10 Fleetside Shorty Custom 350, with 73 donor parts aplenty)
(2001 Porsche Boxster S - 168 MPH of fun)
(2005 Chevy Avalanche Z71 1500)
gotmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Betcha that your wiring harness looks like crap... Probally cut a wire or two somewhere. Crawl underneith with a flash light and take a look at all the wiring for obvious damage. One little tool that I find pretty neat to use is the same tool you use to find out where the break is in a Christmas tree light string. It has a little light in it that stays on when it is near a wire that has power going through it. Just run that along until the light turns off and you'll know where your break is
Old 01-18-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
cdowns

on the driver side frame rail right by the rear axel is a connection for the rear harness check there that you have a good ground and that the harness is plugged in
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

gotmud, I'll PM you my #.I probably won't have time to help til the weekend but if you don't get it call and we can look for it Sat.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

you said that when you turn on the turn signals the light inside just stays on and doesn't flash? sounds like a ground cause thats exactly what mine would do. First off to see and make sure you don't have a problem in your front wiring harness unplug the rear lights connector on the firewall right behind the DS valve cover and try em then. If all works well on the front end and things flash like there supposed too the problem is in your rear lights. Like the other gent said look at your harness that runs along the ds framerail and see if it's broke anywhere. If you can't see anything unplug the connector at the back and check for juice. If no juice then you gotta check to see that the rear wiring harness is actually getting power into it from the firewall connection. Each light out back grounds itself with the screws that hold it into the box. And somebody correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a main ground wire underneath the back there somewhere too?
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:53 PM   #6
jef5150
Inline 69

if you run a hot wire from the battery(temporarly),,,,, you can unplug that connector from the fire wall and touch the hot wire to a wire on the harness plug,,,,(not on fire wall) and see if anything lites up in the rear,,, just a thought....jeff
jef5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:56 PM   #7
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

good idea jeff never thought of that before I guess. Funny considering i've jumped all other kinds of stuff
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #8
gotmud

Quote:
Originally posted by jef5150
if you run a hot wire from the battery(temporarly),,,,, you can unplug that connector from the fire wall and touch the hot wire to a wire on the harness plug,,,,(not on fire wall) and see if anything lites up in the rear,,, just a thought....jeff
GOT IT!!!!!
I plugged a tone generator into the tail light wire and ran the tone amplifier from the rear to the engine side of the firewall. I picked up tone all the way to the wires as they entered the firewall. THEN I squeezed inside the floor with the tone amplifier and seat and found the plug in the firewall where I had unplugged the power during the wiring of my Pertronix unit. Plugged it back in and I have Lights!

Thanks for all the input AND the offer to come over and help! What a great board.

Now its time for some joy riding!

Glenn
(64 C/10 Fleetside Shorty Custom 350, with 73 donor parts aplenty)
(2001 Porsche Boxster S - 168 MPH of fun)
(2005 Chevy Avalanche Z71 1500)
gotmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:51 PM   #9
Cat Fuzz
My son, my joy.

Good job! Now start using your dang turn signals.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote