The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #26
earl84

Re: Top 10 Must Have Tools

I have done a ton of work on my old truck with no air compressor, so don't let that hold you back. Do I wish I had one, heck yeah. I would say that a good vise is indispensable. I have used my bench grinder with a wire wheel on one side a TON as well. But number one in all this stuff is safety glasses, I am anal about them, you only get one set of eyes. I have about 4 pair hanging around at various places in my one stall of the two car garage, so there is no excuse to not just reach out and grab a pair and throw them on.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #27
pimpston65

i just use my neibors garage full of tools!!!
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #28
Turtleman

A good pair of Safety Glasses and the Common Sense to use them.
Turtleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #29
Norcal72

A nice 1/2" drive impact. At least 500ft/lbs. Saves so much time and arm effort removing all the rusty bolts.
Norcal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #30
paintman

mini fridge for the beer
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #31
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Here's my thoughts... You need a friend that has a decent set of tools.
If your starting out.
1. Borrow every tool you don't already have once. Then it goes on the list the second time you need it..
2. As the list grows, buy new less expensive (not cheap) tools that are on the list.
3. Set aside a predetermined amount every payday just for tools, even if it's $5.
It grows like a savings account... EVERY payday. Put it somewhere you see daily and throw your change in it from you pocket.
4. Leather gloves (see pic) even with the guard on you can cut your self so pay attention.
(I sat down the cut off wheel beside me, while laying on my back and didnt wait for it to stop spinning)
5. Safety glasses (everyone has said it for a reason)
6. Socket sets 1/2, 3/8, 1/4 inch drive. (Remember you can build from a smaller set)
7. Multi-meter
8. Floor jack
9. Ramps
10. Last but not least... patients... A virtue seldom squandered!

I made it fun, but meant it all. Good luck!
Attached Images

Last edited by Cash3481; 09-24-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #32
Jeff La

Check out the prices first for what you want to buy and then check out the pawn shops. I have a friend that gets most of his tools from them. He even buys the broken sockets and returns them to get new one's on the one's with lifetime warranty.
Jeff La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #33
_Ogre

imo, buying tools from a pawn shop is inviting bad karma to your own shop
most tools in pawn shops are stolen, supporting pawn shops is akin to supporting the original tool theft
and then bad karma to your shop when tools get re-stolen

nice pic, cash3481

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #34
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
imo, buying tools from a pawn shop is inviting bad karma to your own shop
most tools in pawn shops are stolen, supporting pawn shops is akin to supporting the original tool theft
and then bad karma to your shop when tools get re-stolen

nice pic, cash3481
I agree with this post.
I dont have $100 grand in tools but I have worked hard to get them.
I buy craftsman (cause I dont do it for a living). No matter what you payed, its yours, so earn it... and take care of them!

That pic was a painful week for sure. I sat the cutoff down over my shoulder and let go of it. evidently I pused it away a little and my fingers extended and caught it. I spared everyone the top view but it went halfway down the fingernail. I was VERY disapointed with myself.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #35
Bigdav160

A lift!

I can't stand laying on my back and working. This old body prefers to stand up and work
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #36
Classic-Steele

A big ass air hammer! but make sure its not just a cheap vibrator. Every time i use it i'm grinning ear to ear! nothing like a few taps to blow those pesky frame rivets to smithereens!

2004 Sierra 1500 -leveled, 35's on 17 Weld's, few other upgrades... but mostly stockish- "Daily driver"
1972 C20 -Lq4 swap, Schoenfeld LTs, TR224 cam and the goodies- "Sleeper in completion"
1969 GMC K2500 -350/SM-465/NP-205- "Waiting in line for a complete resto"
1968 C10 -Parts truck-
Classic-Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #37
49bourbon

No one mentioned a good tool chest to keep all your tools organized and a movable cart. Put all the tools you need for a particular job in the cart and put them up when finished. The time you will save not having to look for a friggin whatchamacallit tool that you used last week will payoff in spades.

Many many many sets of safety glasses with a strap on them. They can and hang around neck when not needed and then easy to put back on without hunting them. I saw the finger pictures but if you ever go to an eye surgeon to get a piece of rusty metal removed it ain't pretty. Then they use a small Dremel tools to scrape out the "Rust Dust" . Believe me the words "this won't hurt much" is forever ingrained in the brain. Stay safe.
49bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #38
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I will add to the above with this. Spend a little more on hand tools(ratchets, wrenches and so forth) Yu will use them more and better ones just fit better. Buy stufflike jack stands and jacks, pullers and pry bars from HF or NT. Buy only the jackstands that are welded, not the stamped steel ones. I don't buy from pawn shops either, for the above reason and also I find that they usually ask 3/4 or more of the new price.Watch Craigslist, there are some deals to be had. I saw a craftsman chest and cabinet full of tools(most craftsman) for five bills the other day. Probably fifteen hundred if bought new. Add an engraver to your list. A name or phone number may get your stuff returned and it makes it easy to identify if its found in a pawn shop. In the beginning one use tools like ball joint presses and such can be borrowed at most auto parts stores. Safety glasses, ear protection, gloves a machinists apron are all hanging within a step or two of anywhere in my garage. I use them every time, make it a habit just like putting on your pants. Don't forget safety thinking. I had a guy I worked with when I was younger, and I think of Doyle every time I lift something. He would always tell me to "Put on your dress" This was to remind whoever was helping him lift to squat and lift with their legs not their back.
Stay safe, it's really hard to enjoy your hobby when you're in pain.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote