The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
zamboni2354

SMC with bb mounts and low hump cab...will it work?

Hi guys,

I had a long bed truck that was cut to a short bed. it had a high hump cab and 72 big block motor mounts/perches, however the motor is a small block 350.

I picked up a short bed frame and a fairly rust free cab and planned on moving every thing over to the short bed frame.

My plan was to replace the BB mounts/perches for small block set up so I could sell the big blocks mounts to help recoup some of my frame/cab costs. once I got it in I noticed that it slide the motor forward about an inch or 2. this was confirmed once I tried to put the drive line in and it was too short but about an inch or so.

so now I was going to just go back to the BB perch set up so I wouldn't have to get a new drive line. I could probably keep the small block perches/mounts and move them back on the frame and drill new holes. I'm not sure if I want to do that.

So now the question. I know the 350 w/ 700r4 on 72 BB perches fit on my old cab, but it had the high hump. The new cab doesn't. Anyone know if it will fit? If no one knows I suppose I'll find out when I go to set the cab back on...lol.

jeff in long beach.
zamboni2354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: SMC with bb mounts and low hump cab...will it work?

Personally,... I would use the correct sbc frame stands in the forward location.
Have a new driveshaft cut to fit.
Alot of people say a TH-400/700r4 case will fit with the small hump.
Why not add a high hump to your cab and make your life easy?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
zamboni2354

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Personally,... I would use the correct sbc frame stands in the forward location.
Have a new driveshaft cut to fit.
Alot of people say a TH-400/700r4 case will fit with the small hump.
Why not add a high hump to your cab and make your life easy?
Keith,

thanks for the advice and info. The main reason for not getting a new drive shaft or for adding the high hump is money. the IRS decided I made a 8k mistake on my taxes so my restoration turned into a low budget swap. I already did the deal for the shortbed frame and nicer cab when the tax issue happened so I'm hoping to recover as much of the costs as I can. That being said part of me wants to keep the BB mounts and the high hump just in case I decide down the road to put a big block motor in...way down the road..lol.

jeff
Old 10-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I understand.
I just like things to look correct.
And If I don't have the money,... I wait until I do.
But that's just me.
Good luck with your project.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
cheyenne shortstep

Jeff, the low hump cab will clear the TH400 or 700R, or should I say it will work. You may have to trim a little off the flange that runs across right above the trans and even use a clearance tool {hammer} to give you enough room. I agree on putting the high hump cover on as it also makes trans installs easier, and no clearance issues.
I am trying to get up there this week to pick up the rear end.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:55 AM   #6
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni2354 View Post
Hi guys,

I had a long bed truck that was cut to a short bed. it had a high hump cab and 72 big block motor mounts/perches, however the motor is a small block 350.

I picked up a short bed frame and a fairly rust free cab and planned on moving every thing over to the short bed frame.

My plan was to replace the BB mounts/perches for small block set up so I could sell the big blocks mounts to help recoup some of my frame/cab costs. once I got it in I noticed that it slide the motor forward about an inch or 2. this was confirmed once I tried to put the drive line in and it was too short but about an inch or so.

so now I was going to just go back to the BB perch set up so I wouldn't have to get a new drive line. I could probably keep the small block perches/mounts and move them back on the frame and drill new holes. I'm not sure if I want to do that.

So now the question. I know the 350 w/ 700r4 on 72 BB perches fit on my old cab, but it had the high hump. The new cab doesn't. Anyone know if it will fit? If no one knows I suppose I'll find out when I go to set the cab back on...lol.

jeff in long beach.
I assume you got the new low hump cab because it's in better shape than the high hump cab?

Take the high hump out of the old cab, position it in the low hump cab, stack some weight on it and drill out the bolt holes. Measure how far inward you want the hole, mark it, then cut it out with a saw-z-all. You can use fender clips, or there are some threads on this forum that will give you better options on bolt retention systems. Then sell the old cab.

Or, if you are still driving the high hump cab, simply put the high hump back in and transfer it over when you make the cab swap. It's gotta be much easier to cut out that hole before you install it on the new chassis.

I'm fixing to do the exact same thing you are doing. If you need any more help just e-mail me tpetty5@cox.net
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
zamboni2354

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne shortstep View Post
Jeff, the low hump cab will clear the TH400 or 700R, or should I say it will work. You may have to trim a little off the flange that runs across right above the trans and even use a clearance tool {hammer} to give you enough room. I agree on putting the high hump cover on as it also makes trans installs easier, and no clearance issues.
I am trying to get up there this week to pick up the rear end.
thanks Tremayne. Looking forward to showing you the mess I've made..lol
if you are still bringing the 72 tank let me know if you have these three lines below as well, i'm missing them.

text or call me when you know when you headed this way - or pm me. thanks a lot

jeff
Old 10-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
zamboni2354

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I assume you got the new low hump cab because it's in better shape than the high hump cab?

I'm fixing to do the exact same thing you are doing. If you need any more help just e-mail me tpetty5@cox.net
yep, the new cab is way better than the old one. thanks a lot for the advise and offer of assistance.

jeff