The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #1
miniman

I6 to sbc

Good morning,

I have been trying to do some research, as to whether or not I will need to replace my engine stands or if I can use what I have off the I6 and move them forward. Thanks for your help.
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: I6 to sbc

You can use them but a set of small block stands can be bought for about $25.00 in the classified section .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
miniman

So if I can use them, what is the benefit of buying sbc mounts? Thanks,
Old 10-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
IIGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
So if I can use them, what is the benefit of buying sbc mounts? Thanks,
correct part for the job. google images will show you the difference between the two
IIGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Z10

You can do it, but your engine will be closer to the firewall, which puts your distributor very close and will require a small cap distributor. You can check my build threads for photos of my truck which originally had an I6 and was changed to a SB using the I6 stands. I've corrected the issue with the install of a new ZZ4.

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:15 AM   #6
mechanicalman

Quote:
Good morning,

I have been trying to do some research, as to whether or not I will need to replace my engine stands or if I can use what I have off the I6 and move them forward. Thanks for your help.
Why would you want to move them forward?
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
hamjet

If its a 3 speed tranny bolted to bellhousing x member leave it on the 6 cyl. mounts. it will bolt right up to the tranny where it is and you won't have to get a longer drive shaft...
Old 10-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
miniman

Thanks, but I am also going with a 400 tranny.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
mechanicalman

Quote:
Thanks, but I am also going with a 400 tranny.
When you go to the doctor, you don't just sit there and expect him to tell you what is wrong with you, you tell him your symptoms.

No crystal ball here, fill us in a little about your truck like what trans do you have now for example, 2x4 or 4x4, etc.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #10
miniman

Sorry,

Its a 68 C-10 shortbed. It is a original 250/3 speed truck. I am doing a sbc swap to a 350 with a turbo 400. I gutted a 71 a year ago, and got almost everything out of it, but it appears that I didn't get the engine stands. It seems like there is quite a variety of opinions, as to whether I can or can not use the I6 mounts. I am just trying to get all my parts in order, I plan on removing the I6 this weekend, and start some serious cleaning. Thanks,
Old 10-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
Old Truck Man

There is no difference between the 250 I6 mounts and the V8 mounts. They are exactly the same. With one exception is that the passenger side mount on a 292 I6 is different.. If your present engine has two side mounts on the stick bellhousing. You will need to remove that crossmember and use a different crossmember as the automatic has a mount on rear tailshaft housing.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #12
miniman

Thanks for the response. When I gutted the truck at the junk yard, I did get the rear cross member out of it.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #13
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

I pulled a 250 out of my 72 and it was on I6 stands. Looking from the side they curve to the back. I dropped my LT1 straight onto these stands 10 yrs ago along with a 700r4 and it drove great. I'm redoing my chassis right now and going to v8 mounts for a few reasons. It will be easier to work on for one. The cylinder heads were so close to the firewall it was hard to route the fuel lines and it had an 8" gap between engine and radiator. My ac compressor is very low on the passenger side and the crossmember is in the way right now.

A SBC will bolt to I6 stands all day long and fit, just a bit tight near the firewall. SBC stands will get the engine more centered in the engine compartment. It depends on what you want and what you have.
Bagd72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
mechanicalman

Quote:
Sorry,

Its a 68 C-10 shortbed. It is a original 250/3 speed truck. I am doing a sbc swap to a 350 with a turbo 400. I gutted a 71 a year ago, and got almost everything out of it, but it appears that I didn't get the engine stands. It seems like there is quite a variety of opinions, as to whether I can or can not use the I6 mounts. I am just trying to get all my parts in order, I plan on removing the I6 this weekend, and start some serious cleaning. Thanks,
If you want to run an HEI (physically larger), then get some V8 stands and bolt them in (not that hard to do). Or move the I6 stands to the forward holes, you might need to do some modification like drill a couple holes through the engine cross-member, easy after you pull out the I6.

If you have the old points distributor, you can put it there no problems. You will not have the problems the guy with the LT1 had with lines, yours go to the side of the frame.

You can also turn the old points distributor into an electronic one with a pertronix kit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pn...make/chevrolet

Removing the old manual trans bell-housing mount cross-member may prove challenging. I'd recommend a die grinder (cut an X on the top of all the rivet heads), a strong air hammer with a hardened chisel to cut the top off the rivets then pound them out. If you stick with it, and don't get frustrated and cut that cross-member in pieces, you might be able to sell it for someone wanting to install a 4 speed in place of an automatic. You could sell the swing pedals, clutch linkage along with that as a kit. Did you remove the brake pedal/bracket in the 71 you gutted?

And DO NOT underestimate the value of the 3 on the tree stuff, people who are restoring to original will pay top dollar for that stuff, especially the column. Did you get the automatic column/linkage set-up out of the gutted 71?
Old 10-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
Old Truck Man

Ok the 63 thru 66 V8 and 230 &250 six frame mounts are 100% exactly the same. And there is room for a large cap GM HEI ignition. Its a tight fit but it will work. there was a frame mount change in 67. the frame mounts are curved forward. however there is plenty of room for the large cap HEI on all 67 up trucks. The fan to radiator distance is adequately taken care of by a factory fan shroud. The pictures are proof.
Attached Images

Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #16
hamjet

Hei will fit with 6 cyl stands. about 1 inch clearence. use a 4 wheel drive fan shroud to reach back to the fan...
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #17
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
Hei will fit with 6 cyl stands. about 1 inch clearence. use a 4 wheel drive fan shroud to reach back to the fan...
I have my engine in the forward position and measured the clearance, then subtracted the distance between the middle holes to the rear holes on the six frame holes that hold the perches, and I came to the conclusion that there was at least an inch clearance, and that jives with what you show.

Many on this forum say there is not enough clearance, I'd think an inch would prevent arcing to the firewall. I'm not sure what to think of that.

I'm showing 2.5" difference between the middle holes and the rear holes. I've also heard people say there is a 4-5" difference between the holes for the shifter bracket on the L frame rail. I have not measured my frame bracket holes, but would be surprised if they were different than the frame hole set-back.

I'm fixing to transfer everything to a SWB frame I obtained, and install I6 perches. I intend to go column shift.

Do you have any info on that?
Old 10-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #18
hamjet

No info, the guy I bought the truck from made the change from 6 to 8. I quized him on what he did and what he used as far as 6 cyl stands. he converted from column shift to a cheep floor shifter he had laying around. My plans are to put in a 200-4r with the engine in the same location so I don't have to deal with the driveshaft length..Sorry, back to original post...
Old 10-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #19
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Many on this forum say there is not enough clearance, I'd think an inch would prevent arcing to the firewall. I'm not sure what to think of that......
Arcing shouldn't be a problem with new plug cabling and distributor cap (plug cables on Corvettes were very close to the engine).
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #20
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
No info, the guy I bought the truck from made the change from 6 to 8. I quized him on what he did and what he used as far as 6 cyl stands. he converted from column shift to a cheep floor shifter he had laying around. My plans are to put in a 200-4r with the engine in the same location so I don't have to deal with the driveshaft length..Sorry, back to original post...
Good idea on the 2004R.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #21
BRL

I removed the 250 inline-6 3OTT out of my '69 Stepside and put in a 350SBC with a Turbo350 short tail transmission.

Used the 6 cyl. mounts in their original location and added GM HEI.

Removed the original trans. cross member and got a turbo400 cross member out of a '68 Suburban found at a wreaking yard.

Everything bolted right up and the driveshaft was (surprisingly) the right length as well.

Also got a scrap yard fan shroud out of...something and used that plastic stuff that they use for surrounding gardens in the yard to bring the shroud back over the fan.

Put in a B&M floor mounted ratchet shifter.

Didn't have a computer back then, and didn't have anyone to tell me if it would work or not, but it does work very well indeed.

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #22
mechanicalman

[QUOTE=BRL;6874156]I removed the 250 inline-6 3OTT out of my '69 Stepside and put in a 350SBC with a Turbo350 short tail transmission.

Used the 6 cyl. mounts in their original location and added GM HEI.

Removed the original trans. cross member and got a turbo400 cross member out of a '68 Suburban found at a wreaking yard.

Everything bolted right up and the driveshaft was (surprisingly) the right length as well.

Also got a scrap yard fan shroud out of...something and used that plastic stuff that they use for surrounding gardens in the yard to bring the shroud back over the fan.

Put in a B&M floor mounted ratchet shifter.

Didn't have a computer back then, and didn't have anyone to tell me if it would work or not, but it does work very well indeed.

Love that fan shroud! I own an 09 white Colorado with black fender flares. The pinch weld area of the body has ugly leaf springs and trans cross-member hanging down. I think that garden stuff would look great attached to the pinch weld hanging down to cover up the ugly. Thanks for the idea!

OMG I just saw those twin toolboxes....
Old 10-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #23
BRL

[quote=mechanicalman;6874185]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRL View Post

OMG I just saw those twin toolboxes....
HA!

Yep, there was a lot of real estate underneath that hood going to waste and one can never tell when having some tools and small parts handy just might just save the day.

...and they have!

Put stereo amplifiers under each bucket seat (what'd you say?) so there wasn't much room in the cab left over.

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #24
mechanicalman

[quote=BRL;6874230]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post

HA!

Yep, there was a lot of real estate underneath that hood going to waste and one can never tell when having some tools and small parts handy just might just save the day.

...and they have!

Put stereo amplifiers under each bucket seat (what'd you say?) so there wasn't much room in the cab left over.

Did you see the one where the guy put in a rear gas tank, then took his old one out of the cab, had it flushed out so no gas fumes, turned it into a speaker box and put it back in? No sure if it reverberates, or maybe it reverberates awesome? LOL