The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
old cool

Question master cylinder top choices

Hello to all. I've been away for awhile. I have a master cylinder (MC) question. First of all, the power booster appears to be a 1967-70 version sold at many vendors. Appears in Auto Zone ads along with mail order companies. Probably a Cardone part. I have a dual circuit MC.
As I tinkered today, I noticed some discoloration in MC fluid. I drug finger along bottom of bowls and noted some black junk. You know, like rubber as it deteriorates. I also noted a PO put silicone around where MC mounts to PB. Also noted some cotton stuffed in a pocket between MC and booster. So, not sure if someone was putting a band-aid on a fluid leak or vacuum leak, or, both. BTW, brakes are ok as far as I know, but not perfect. I'm just use to them.
Here's the question. What is an excellent MC to buy? I see Bendix, A1Cardone, Cardone Select, Centricity Premium, Dorman, etc. Seems to be a variety of prices for identical parts. I would like the best but I want the original look. So, nothing custom. Should also mention, some are new; some are remaned. I've read that Fenco is problematic - particular to bench bleed. Hope I don't offend anyone by that comment. My source was Google and a couple of forums. THANKS
old cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
luvbowties

Smile Re: master cylinder top choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by old cool View Post
Hello to all. I've been away for awhile. I have a master cylinder (MC) question. First of all, the power booster appears to be a 1967-70 version sold at many vendors. Appears in Auto Zone ads along with mail order companies. Probably a Cardone part. I have a dual circuit MC.
As I tinkered today, I noticed some discoloration in MC fluid. I drug finger along bottom of bowls and noted some black junk. You know, like rubber as it deteriorates. I also noted a PO put silicone around where MC mounts to PB. Also noted some cotton stuffed in a pocket between MC and booster. So, not sure if someone was putting a band-aid on a fluid leak or vacuum leak, or, both. BTW, brakes are ok as far as I know, but not perfect. I'm just use to them.
Here's the question. What is an excellent MC to buy? I see Bendix, A1Cardone, Cardone Select, Centricity Premium, Dorman, etc. Seems to be a variety of prices for identical parts. I would like the best but I want the original look. So, nothing custom. Should also mention, some are new; some are remaned. I've read that Fenco is problematic - particular to bench bleed. Hope I don't offend anyone by that comment. My source was Google and a couple of forums. THANKS
Many of us definitely prefer new to rebuilt, the brand likely varies widely just with personal opinion. Some on-line suppliers show the % sold of each brand, giving some indication of popularity.

At one time I swore by Bendix. But have varied my choices over the years. I'd guess any quality, older name in brand new units should be good--Bendix, AC, Dorman, Raybestos, and Wagner are 1st to come to mind.
HTH,
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote