The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
eastxbbqman

Carb trouble

I recently made the mistake of putting a Edelbrock carb on my 71. I heard all the bullcrap about these carbs, but it was free. I ran it about three months before finally putting the old q-jet back on. It's running better, but it is getting hot now. I am at a loss as what is causing this. Thanks for any help.
eastxbbqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem
Re: Carb trouble

Not the carb. Try a new thermostat and flush the cooling system for starters..
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
crakarjax

I like edelbrocks. You need to clean it if you got it used though, like with a carb dip. Then adjust the floats, idle speed and mixture. I added a phenolic spacer to mine after having some trouble with it boiling the gas in the carb and causing vapor lock! Settled it right down and starts right up now.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
1972BlueC20

yeah i been running a 1406 Edelbrock for a while now, the QJet that came with my truck was in need of a rebuild and i just swapped it out with the Edelbrock.

it's runs great, the only issue is hot starts. I've just ordered a 1" phenolic spacer and I have a fuel pressure regulator with an inline fuel pressure gauge. According to what I've read, if I get the pressure to about 5-5.5 PSI my problems should go away! Fingers crossed!!
Old 10-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Edelbrock carbs will boil fuel in the bowls after turning the engine off, making a restart take longer because as you pump, the fuel bowls refill. Whether it's a stop at the store for a few minutes, then coming back out to restart, or at the end of the day, then coming out in the morning.

Mornings, I would have to go through a process of three long starts and pumping the pedal to get started.

After reading on the forum here (via google link below) about the Edelbrock 9266 heat spacer (for RPM intakes):

https://www.google.com/#q=site:67-72...rock+9266+heat

Picked up the #9266 heat spacer from my local Oreilly's along with a Mr. Gasket 1406 gasket (one below the spacer, one above the spacer for carb to sit on).

Truck now starts on first try. No more hard/long starts while fuel gets back into the bowls. Hope that helps.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote