The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Andy Knaack

67-72 Front Fender Dust Shields

Can anyone attach a picture they have taken of their front fender dust shields? I think if you open the front door and look right behind the jams they should be there. (I think, that is - - ) I have purchased a set but am not sure where to install them. One long piece and two shorter (round like) parts.

Good one to add to my winter project list, but I am not sure where to install.
Thanks,
Andy
Andy Knaack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
FirstOwner69

Re: 67-72 Front Fender Dust Shields

I don't have any pictures of them on my truck, but below is a shot from the assembly manual that may be better. You need the metal brackets to mount them. Only the top trim level trucks had these. My early 69 CST did not have the 4 small curved pieces, only the 2 long ones..
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

Zoomed shot showing better detail and found a not so good picture of an original on my truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 10-23-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Andy Knaack

First Owner 69,
Thanks so much, this is getting closer to understanding how to apply them. When I ordered the set, they came with five holes in the long section and five plastic push clips (each side) to hold them in place. Looks like I must take off the inner fender to get to where these go. (?) Metal brackets I can make. I think the two smaller parts (each having one hole) use the same attachment as two of the holes on the long sections. I am going to install power windows this winter as well so these can go in as long as I am inside the fenders. The more I look at the diagrams and the physical parts in my hand, I think the two smaller parts are reinforcements pieces. (?)
Does the assembly manual give any guidance when these are installed when doing the first build of the truck?

Andy (worked in Sheboygan three years ago and River Falls years ago) and loved both towns.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Knaack View Post
First Owner 69,
Thanks so much, this is getting closer to understanding how to apply them. When I ordered the set, they came with five holes in the long section and five plastic push clips (each side) to hold them in place. Looks like I must take off the inner fender to get to where these go. (?) Metal brackets I can make. I think the two smaller parts (each having one hole) use the same attachment as two of the holes on the long sections. I am going to install power windows this winter as well so these can go in as long as I am inside the fenders. The more I look at the diagrams and the physical parts in my hand, I think the two smaller parts are reinforcements pieces. (?)
Does the assembly manual give any guidance when these are installed when doing the first build of the truck?

Andy (worked in Sheboygan three years ago and River Falls years ago) and loved both towns.
The original long pieces were stapled to the metal brackets. The roundish pieces were to be stapled to the long rubber pieces in the locations shown. The brackets were then screwed to the inner cowl. The rubber not attached to the brackets were screwed directly to the cab using the spacers shown in the diagram. The spacers were basically a metal collar about 1/4" deep to prevent crushing and damage to the rubber. The outer fender and outer cowl panel need to be removed. I think the inner fender can be left in place. No plastic clips were used.

There's not much sequence info in the assembly manual.

As a kid, I lived briefly in Rochester, MI, and went to high school in Sheboygan.

Jim

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 10-23-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Andy Knaack

If the outer fender and cowl panel need to come off before I can install, I might just learn to live without them. I only drive my Street Rod Truck about 1500-1700 miles per year and mostly to shows. Maybe just power windows and a AM/FM radio and hidden antenna this winter.
You would not recognize Rochester, it is a very up-sale place now. Glad I bought our home 27 years ago when prices were still affordable. Great place to live now.

Andy