The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
RickMonroeCtyR-1

pillar rust

Brand new to forum. I found a truck I like, but I'm worried that the pillar rust to too bad. Can anyone tell me a way to gauge how bad the rust is in a pillar. I've tried to attach picture. I don't have skills to replace the whole pillar. Thanks!
Attached Images

RickMonroeCtyR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: pillar rust

How do the rain gutters on the roof look? When they rot thru, the water has a point of entry to the pillar. If the gutters and roof have holes, I would also expect rot on the interior above the windshield and even above the door jambs. Those have been my observations over the years.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 10-15-2014 at 12:42 AM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

From what I can see in that pic, that looks like just surface rust. A little poking around with a screwdriver will tell you if you have some serious rust issues.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
RickMonroeCtyR-1

Thanks. I really appreciate the help!
Old 10-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
dougf

Hello and welcome to the forum! I bought my '66 in Norfolk Virginia. I really underestimated the amount of work it takes to repair rust, just make sure you look over the entire floor, crawl underneath and look at rockers, cab supports, rear portion of the cab floor, cab corners, etc... All those are repairable with patches like im doing right now, it just takes some money and a LOT of time and proper tools. Just make sure you are up to the task is what I am saying. None of those rusted spots scared me away but I am struggling in the repairs because of skill/time. One area I would check VERY well is the area around the window and the roof and the lip going around the top of the cab. From what I have seen rust in these areas is very, very hard to replace.

Also, be patient! I made a BIG mistake and nearly completely tore down my truck thinking I would repair/replace most things. Turns out that is a LOT more work and money than I have, so for the last two years it has sat while I try to find time to work on it with the front end completely apart and not drivable. Good luck!
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
RickMonroeCtyR-1

DougF

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help. Rust around the windows and pillars really concerns me. It's been a deal breaker so far. One of the trucks I looked at was exactly what I'd been looking for, right down to the color. But I noticed that the cab had been recently painted on the top and rust was bleeding through the paint on the A pillar, so I didn't get it.

Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
AcampoDave

That roof rot is a real problem. Even here in sunny California I have seen many rotten cabs. Unfortunately, the rain gutters are easy to neglect. They are usually full of a factory sealant long since cracked and weathered. The rain gets underneath and the gutter stays damp. The damage stays out of sight, out of mind until the holes show up. It's a shame, I see them all the time. They could have been, or still could be saved if somebody just cared.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote