The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Jahloha

Fuel Cell & Frame Spacing Question

I am planning out my fuel cell location (under bed & Ill be using Fuel Cell Guy).

Gramps (my grandpa) had some coworker custom fab a hitch for his truck back in 70'. The thing is a beast (see pic). I will not be keeping this hitch because I will be putting the fuel cell there.

Anyways, when measuring the space the fuel cell will go, I realized that there was almost 1.5" in spacing difference (see picture).

So my question, this isn't normal, right? If not, I assume I will need to alter crooked piece to plumb prior to hanging my fuel cell. Should i keep this piece, his coworkers took a nice size chunk out of it (see picture) and has some rust issues. Not sure if I should keep this or just have someone help me fab up a new section.

Sorry for my lack of terminology, still learning a lot as I go.

Thanks everyone!

PS. I will be utilizing a hidden hitch if that matters at all.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
Jahloha

Re: Fuel Cell & Frame Spacing Question

Also, I am wanting to use FuelCellGuy, but haven't heard from him. Hoping he is still around, just laying low. His web address has gone dark.

Anyone know if he is still around?

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-24-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
I am planning out my fuel cell location (under bed & Ill be using Fuel Cell Guy).

Gramps (my grandpa) had some coworker custom fab a hitch for his truck back in 70'. The thing is a beast (see pic). I will not be keeping this hitch because I will be putting the fuel cell there.

Anyways, when measuring the space the fuel cell will go, I realized that there was almost 1.5" in spacing difference (see picture).

So my question, this isn't normal, right? If not, I assume I will need to alter crooked piece to plumb prior to hanging my fuel cell. Should i keep this piece, his coworkers took a nice size chunk out of it (see picture) and has some rust issues. Not sure if I should keep this or just have someone help me fab up a new section.

Sorry for my lack of terminology, still learning a lot as I go.

Thanks everyone!

PS. I will be utilizing a hidden hitch if that matters at all.

Thanks everyone!
That's your rear cross-member, you want to keep it and actually repair or replace it. Also, not sure if it's actually crooked or if the forward one is crooked. If I remember I'll go outside tomorrow and measure my 72 LWB.

If you are going to run a blazer style LMC tank, you want the cross-members in their stock locations. Some people like to run custom tanks that don't hang down as low, they sometimes fabricate custom rear cross-members and move them for clearance.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
slowcpe

If the fuel cell guy is no longer around, look at the Boyd welding tanks. That the one I have and it's a real nice piece.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
SHANE 73Z

The crossmember closest to the rear axle is supposed to be angled.

The member that has been clearanced should be "square" to the main rails.

The only other alternative I can think of is what I used. Early Classic Ent. offers a rear c-channel that slips into the very rear of the frame rails and allows the deletion of the one you have thats butchered. It also gives more room for tank/cell fitment.

I dont know if there are real detailed pictures in my build, but you should be able to find it.

Shane
Old 10-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
Hart_Rod

The brace isn't crooked, that's the way is supposed to be. ECE makes a replacement piece that is much thicker and bolts in. You can't go wrong with FCG or Boyds tanks, I've had both and both are a quality product.

Look up crossmembers here: http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog.aspx

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 10-24-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
That's your rear cross-member, you want to keep it and actually repair or replace it. Also, not sure if it's actually crooked or if the forward one is crooked. If I remember I'll go outside tomorrow and measure my 72 LWB.

If you are going to run a blazer style LMC tank, you want the cross-members in their stock locations. Some people like to run custom tanks that don't hang down as low, they sometimes fabricate custom rear cross-members and move them for clearance.
Thanks MM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
If the fuel cell guy is no longer around, look at the Boyd welding tanks. That the one I have and it's a real nice piece.
I have been looking at his tanks too, heard great things. Either way, I know Ill be putting one in, regardless of supplier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANE 73Z View Post
The crossmember closest to the rear axle is supposed to be angled.

The member that has been clearanced should be "square" to the main rails.

The only other alternative I can think of is what I used. Early Classic Ent. offers a rear c-channel that slips into the very rear of the frame rails and allows the deletion of the one you have thats butchered. It also gives more room for tank/cell fitment.

I dont know if there are real detailed pictures in my build, but you should be able to find it.

Shane
Shane, thats why I love this forum! I would have never understood why a crossmember would be crooked, but glad I am now informed. Didn't want to mess anything up bc I thought it was not aligned properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
The brace isn't crooked, that's the way is supposed to be. ECE makes a replacement piece that is much thicker and bolts in. You can't go wrong with FCG or Boyds tanks, I've had both and both are a quality product.

Look up crossmembers here: http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog.aspx
Bingo! Thanks Hart_Rod! I had actually read some of your other posts on your tanks, they helped me make the decision.

To all who responded, last question. In the third picture I posted, on top of the frame there is a L shaped crossmember? Is that stock? Whenever I read through other people's builds, I swear their frames are open ended at the very rear, without this piece on top of the frame.

Thanks for all the help, its greatly appreciated!

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
SHANE 73Z

The angle iron at the rear/top of the frame was added with the hitch install.

The butchered member is the last original x-member on the frame. It goes with the rest of the hitch.

Shane
Old 10-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANE 73Z View Post
The angle iron at the rear/top of the frame was added with the hitch install.

The butchered member is the last original x-member on the frame. It goes with the rest of the hitch.

Shane
Awesome. Thanks, Shane.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread