The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
Greghite

Help!! Rear brakes

I am having trouble with my 64 C10. The right rear brake was hanging up when I first moved my truck. I rebuilt the wheel clynder and new shoes. Now it worse. I can back up but it is locked going forward. Any suggestions. Thanks for any help
Attached Images

Greghite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
bama63

Re: Help!! Rear brakes

could be a number of things, do you have the short shoe facing the front, are brakes adjusted properly, e-brake too tightly adjusted, drum out of round. maybe some one else will chime in with more thoughts.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Saave1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greghite View Post
I am having trouble with my 64 C10. The right rear brake was hanging up when I first moved my truck. I rebuilt the wheel clynder and new shoes. Now it worse. I can back up but it is locked going forward. Any suggestions. Thanks for any help
Sounds like an e-brake problem. My truck will roll back a bit when the e-brake is on but won't go foward.
Saave1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Greghite

Thank you for suggestions.. Small shoe is in front and e brake is loose.. Maybe I have the bar wrong? When I try and spin the wheel it locks up immediately and you have to pry the drum off. The drum seems fine but will check it out thanks
Old 10-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

You might also try disassembling the brakes, washing everything with brake cleaner and apply a dab of white grease on the contact points of the backing plate. Sometimes these can become so compacted with crud, the shoes stick on the backing plates. An alternative is to just blow out the whole brake assembly with compressed air (assuming you have a compressor) but be careful and wear a respirator. Old brake shoes and assemblies were full of asbestos and you don't want to be ingesting the dust.

Also check to see if the rear cables are completely released with the brake handle not under tension. Old cables frequently stick and don't fully release at the brakes.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
AcampoDave

Those starwheel adjuster things are side specific. Puting the wrong one on the wrong side could cause the problem you describe. I just went out and looked at some I have in the garage and they have an L or R stamped on them .
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
old cruiser

This may not be the problem but I always chamfer the edges of new linings to avoid any hangup on the drum
old cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Greghite

Thanks for everyone's suggestion, will be working on brake later today and will post.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
Greghite

The problem was the shoes. I bought wearever shoes from advanc auto. The distance for the spreader width was off , had to grind the shoes to have shoes fit (1/2 cm). I want to again thank everyone for their help