The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
HerrOtto

Speedometer options

I sent my speedometer from my 61 Apache out to get a quote on how much to repair it. The quote was $300.00 , which may be a good price but I am not prepared to pay that much. My truck is not going to be stock or a show truck, more like a rat rod. Does anyone have other options for me that will not cost an arm and a leg and that will give me an accurate reading of my speed?
Thank you
HerrOtto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
jtrichard

Re: Speedometer options

if it works at all take some ATF and lube it .....if the odometer is stuck take the shaft out that drives it and you should have a working speedo
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Hugh in NC

I've got a good '63 if it will fit your '61. Just let me know.

Hugh
Hugh in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: Speedometer options

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrOtto View Post
I sent my speedometer from my 61 Apache out to get a quote on how much to repair it. The quote was $300.00 , which may be a good price but I am not prepared to pay that much. My truck is not going to be stock or a show truck, more like a rat rod. Does anyone have other options for me that will not cost an arm and a leg and that will give me an accurate reading of my speed?
Thank you
Search Ebay and Craigslist for one shaped similar to a tach. About all of the cable-driven ones are run by an identical cable. Use a tach-mount to mount it conveniently.
HTH,
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:14 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If your original speedo isn't repairable by yourself using suggestions above, you should be able to find a good '60-'63 speedo here in the '60-'66 classifieds. Have you tried contacting member TBONE1964 here on the forum? He rebuilds gauge clusters, including speedo's.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
Free Candy Inside

I have an extra one out of a 61 gmc. Thought I could modify it for a different cluster but it's not the right size so I don't need it.
Free Candy Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
1963c-10

Bow tie has them ready to ship for $170

link: http://www.bowtiebits.com/store/stor...Category_ID=74

They also rebuild gauges....
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer

Last edited by 1963c-10; 09-23-2014 at 09:09 AM.
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
HerrOtto

I purchased a used speedometer from Hugh in NC. I am expecting delivery tomorrow. Thank you to Hugh and those who offered suggestions.
HerrOtto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #9
Todd W. White

Get a quote from Williamson's Instruments in Chester, Arkansas.
Todd W. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
curvedglass

I just received my worm gear and reassembled my speedo. I lubed it all up real nice too. The odometer now turns as it should and is in sync with my GPS. The speedo now is acting even stranger. Before it would deviated from almost dead on to 100mph and back and the odo did not move at all. Now the speedo won't go above 40mph no matter how fast I drive.

What did I do wrong???
curvedglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 PM   #11
VonDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvedglass View Post
I just received my worm gear and reassembled my speedo. I lubed it all up real nice too. The odometer now turns as it should and is in sync with my GPS. The speedo now is acting even stranger. Before it would deviated from almost dead on to 100mph and back and the odo did not move at all. Now the speedo won't go above 40mph no matter how fast I drive.

What did I do wrong???
Are you steeling this thread? Oops, check your cable. You'll more than likely need to clean and lube it. Don't know what year your truck is but I'm guessing the gear is plastic. Too much stress from a dirty cable will fry your plastic gear.
VonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #12
TBONE1964
Cluster King

For those interested, I have many 1960-1966 Chevy truck gauge cluster parts in my inventory.

A very nice restored 1960 - 1963 speedometer that is checked for calibration, needle bounce and and noise would run $100.00 shipped. Ready to install in your cluster with a 90 day warranty. I stand behind all of my work.

Take care,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
curvedglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDog View Post
Are you steeling this thread? Oops, check your cable. You'll more than likely need to clean and lube it. Don't know what year your truck is but I'm guessing the gear is plastic. Too much stress from a dirty cable will fry your plastic gear.
I wouldn't say stealing!!! This thread got me the part I needed to put my crap together. I bought a new speedo cable before anything else because the old one was screaming even when disconnected from the speedo.

The metal housing of the speedo I borrowed from a 67 bel air 250 PG. I had it in my parts bin from my first car in 1980. The actual worm gear I bought was the wrong one. I didn't know it when I ordered it. I broke the worm gear that is pressed in and runs off the cable drive gear. The housing from the 67 looked the same. Maybe the drive gear is different ratio?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
curvedglass

I just installed one of the 63 speedo's that TBONE1964 rebuilt. The thing is cherry. Nice job and attention to detail. Highly recommend his work. Good communication and shipping. Sounds like an ebay feedback :O) - however I believe my issue is in the cable. This new unit is doing the same thing the one I rebuilt did. Won't go over 35-40mph even when my GPS reads over 50mph. Could it be the drive gear at the trans? My truck had 3.73's and were swapped out for 3.08's
Old 10-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
I just installed one of the 63 speedo's that TBONE1964 rebuilt. The thing is cherry. Nice job and attention to detail. Highly recommend his work. Good communication and shipping. Sounds like an ebay feedback :O) - however I believe my issue is in the cable. This new unit is doing the same thing the one I rebuilt did. Won't go over 35-40mph even when my GPS reads over 50mph. Could it be the drive gear at the trans? My truck had 3.73's and were swapped out for 3.08's
I just sent you a PM and explained how you can tell if it is your drive gears.

I will share this with others so everyone understands.

The way to check transmission speedometer drive gears is to drive your vehicle for a measured distance of one mile.

Watch the odometer. The odometer should travel a distance of one mile for one mile traveled. If it does not reach or exceeds one mile, the transmission gears are not correct for your tire/ gear ratio combination.

The odometer inside the speedometer is run off the cable that hooks to the transmission. If it is off, then you need to figure out what combination of trans gears you need. There are formulas for this but I do not have them handy.

With that said,

If the odometer travels a distance of exactly one mile for a distance traveled of exactly one mile, the speedometer head is out of calibration. The speedometer head is calibrated by a combination of a magnetic pull and a hair spring.

By the way, thank you for the kind words on my work

Hope this helps

Take care,
Tom

Old 10-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #16
curvedglass

thanks Tom. I got your PM.

This got me thinking about a guy who helped me out with a bad calibration between the trans and speedo on another car. He puts together a small gear drive in it's own case that bolts between trans and the speedo cable. Less than $100 delivered.

http://www.patc.co/

also search 'speedometer world'
Old 10-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #17
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
thanks Tom. I got your PM.

This got me thinking about a guy who helped me out with a bad calibration between the trans and speedo on another car. He puts together a small gear drive in it's own case that bolts between trans and the speedo cable. Less than $100 delivered.

http://www.patc.co/

also search 'speedometer world'

That sounds like a good fix, if that is your problem. Let me know how the one mile test goes. Remember you are watching the odometer for this test and not the speedometer.

Knowing the truck is 51 years old and has probably seen every combination of trans/rear end gear/tire size combinations multiple times and you never really know what you have until you do some math

Take care,
Tom

Old 10-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #18
slepysal

here is my home made one
using autometer and sunpro gauges
Name:  new%20dash%201.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  61.3 KB

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #19
curvedglass

i bought the speedo gear drive adapter and now I am within 3% of dead nuts. Turns out to be a 25% slow down based on rear gear ratio change. The closest unit is a 28% increase. The difference isn't noticeable until you go over 50. No longer need to rely on my dumbphone.