The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
Coley

Smile Anyone 'winterize' their truck for storage?

Well with November here and the truck 'officially' off the road for the winter its time to get it prepped so that come spring I find it in the same condition that I left it.
I'm targeting getting the 'rust checking' (ie: rust proofing) done today which will take probably another 1-2 hours then after some fuel preservative and run up we should be good to go. The only thing after that is a couple of other minor things (battery, etc) and put the cover on it.
I was wondering if anyone else does rust proofing on their trucks to make sure the tin worm forever keeps its distance.
Personally, i use the 'rust check' spray product which I started using years ago when I lived back east around the Great lakes 'rust belt'...where everything rusts constantly that is on or near the road...LOL.
As a once a year procedure, its always done a great job at stopping, and controlling rust on my vehicles.
My '72 is a California truck so its very solid and I'm working to ensure it stays that way because rust is an intrusive little bugger it seems.
That said, I do run into a lot of guys who simply wash their vehicles and put them away but don't take it too much further.
Anyone else have their own 'preservation procedures'?
Coley
Attached Images

2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Sammy

Re: Anyone 'winterize' their truck for storage?

Put both of mine away also. I also add moth balls n a poison inside the bed to keep the field mice away. Dunno if they dislike the moth balls or not but after digging a few nesting out of the heater before worth a try.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
northerngmc

When I parked my 68 this fall I put an open container of Silica gel cat litter inside the cab to absorb any moisture.

I always run premium fuel for the last tank or two in the fall to get rid of any ethanol based fuels. Then fuel stabilizer for the last drive.

I disconnect the battery and call it a year. This year my 68 is back outside and parked in a tent garage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
70blackfish

Winter. Going to be 86 here this week. I'm sick of it.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
mitchell72

My uncle, who has 65 cars, is now running out of storage. So on the vehicles that cant be stored indoors, and also have minor rust issues, -he paints them with exterior house pant. The paint is tinted, some are lively colors, and seriously, from 10 feet away, they look pretty darn good. He says he is preserving them for the next guy who will eventually undertake the project.
He uses a harbor freight gun and sprays them.
mitchell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
Coley

Smile Re: Anyone 'winterize' their truck for storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchell72 View Post
My uncle, who has 65 cars, is now running out of storage. So on the vehicles that cant be stored indoors, and also have minor rust issues, -he paints them with exterior house pant. The paint is tinted, some are lively colors, and seriously, from 10 feet away, they look pretty darn good. He says he is preserving them for the next guy who will eventually undertake the project.
He uses a harbor freight gun and sprays them.
....lol, thats really something!...house paint, wow. You gotta love those ol' timers.
Almost all my rust proofing work (80%) is under the truck...very little to do on the main paint surfaces simply because they rarely rust from that point inwards.
I typically spend about 2-3 hours on my back under the cab, rockers, doors, box back end, etc cleaning and then spraying the product in there.....found a couple more tricky spots today, probably well known to the body work guys....which I"m not.
Its those underside hidden spots that cause the major problems on these trucks it seems.
My challenge is that I don't currently have a shop at the house so i have to use a truck cover only with outdoor storage. Within that I don't want corrosion working from the bottom side up through dampness, etc so I have to 'get busy' on ensuring that doesn't happen.
Cool on the whole painting thing tho'.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote