The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Omaha68C10

small block motor mount problems

I finally got around to installing the engine in my 68 C10 and I come to find out the motor mounts I bought from NAPA are allmost a full bolt hole off from lineing up with the hole that goes through the engine stands. I thought maybe there was a right and a left hand side, but they both have the same part #. I replaced a small block for a small block and yes the engine is tight against the bell housing. Did NAPA sell me the wrong ones, or is this a case of trying to make cheap Chinese crap fit on an old truck? Also can anyone recommend mounts that actually fit? Thanks,Jon
Omaha68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: small block motor mount problems

Is the hole centered in the new mount? If so, sounds like the engine shifted rearwards when you lifted it up
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
papsoldblue72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha68C10 View Post
I finally got around to installing the engine in my 68 C10 and I come to find out the motor mounts I bought from NAPA are allmost a full bolt hole off from lineing up with the hole that goes through the engine stands. I thought maybe there was a right and a left hand side, but they both have the same part #. I replaced a small block for a small block and yes the engine is tight against the bell housing. Did NAPA sell me the wrong ones, or is this a case of trying to make cheap Chinese crap fit on an old truck? Also can anyone recommend mounts that actually fit? Thanks,Jon
I really didn't like the way the factory ones are made.... They just look weak so I decided to go a different route and ordered a set of mounts.... This is what I got on the way now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161285803311...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'll let you how they work out when they get here next week on the build thread......

It's been a long time coming... It's time to get it done..
papsoldblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
old Chevy guy

How do they compare to the old mounts side by side? is your truck an automatic or standard? if its a standard and has the factory mounts I could defiantly see the whole thing shifting backward by that much especially if the rubber is old and tired.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #5
papsoldblue72

Ok first off ... Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you ... I got these mounted , the engine installed with very little issues... The only thing we had trouble with was the place where the long bolt goes thru the stand I had to cut off almost 1/2" so the block part of the mount would slide over it.... The transmission mount only issue was all the bolt holes wouldn't line up... Not really a problem at all... These things are really worth the money there flippin awesome ....
Attached Images

It's been a long time coming... It's time to get it done..
papsoldblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
john
member #16

This happens quite often in these trucks, just loosen your engine stands from the frame and align the hole.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
WIDESIDE72

A few years ago I helped a guy install a ramjet 350 in a 68 swb. He had already pulled the old 350 when I got involved. He couldn't get the motor mounts to line up. He was/ is a "throw all the old bolts in a coffee can and buy all new bolts 'cause they're shiny" kinda guy. Turns out he had pulled the frame stands to clean and paint and was using the wrong bolts that were too large in diameter, not Allowing adjustment. I forget the details, but for instance, the bolts should have been 3/8" but he was using 7/16" or should have 5/16"and he was using 3/8".
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote