The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
paximus

Need help with very fast idle shifted in park

Hey friends and fellow chevy truck lovers, I have a question I need some help with, I am new here so first of all let me say HELLO and thanks for having such a cool group. Here is my PROBLEM: I have a 78 chevy pickup and the last week when I put it in to park (its automatic transmission) the idle surges real high and super fast and it wont go down, does anyone know what may cause that and how I go about fixing it? I am handy and have tools etc, I have just never run in to this problem, it just started happening out of nowhere, the distributor cap looks ok, I havent checked the timing but the truck was tuned up and timing set about 7 months ago and its been running fine, it runs fine now but when I shift it in to park REAL HIGH FAST IDLE like someone is flooring the gas pedal. Please help with step by step instructions, this is one of my work/fleet trucks so we need it on the road and running to make money. THANKS FOR READING AND THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER!
paximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
donut

Re: Need help with very fast idle shifted in park

Fast idle cam on the choke? Can it be "kicked down"? Give the throttle a quick stab with your foot and it's supposed to drop back to a normal idle.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
paximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut View Post
Fast idle cam on the choke? Can it be "kicked down"? Give the throttle a quick stab with your foot and it's supposed to drop back to a normal idle.
Right exactly, it usually kicks down when I tap the throttle but it is not now, I have checked all vacuum hoses and see nothing wrong. but when I close that metal plate inside the carb (dont know the name of it) it goes down to a real slow idle then I let go of that plate and the idle immediately starts going to fast again and just stays that way. Its probably something simple but I have no idea.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
paximus

Can anyone help with some advice about this, I am outside working on it now but I dont even know where to begin, all I know is when shifted in to park the motor begins to surge and idle SUPER FAST and nothing seems to kick it down.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
Corts60
Just here to tinker

On the passenger side of the carb is the fast idle cam.

Remove the air cleaner and look at the linkages on the passenger side of the carb. There should be a stepped cam lever on the end of the primary throttle shaft. These steps catch on a moveable linkage which is what is keeping your idle high. You may have to move back the the throttle to free up the cam and clear it.

If you take a a picture of that side of your carb for us, I can draw a circle around the part I am talking about.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
paximus

Thanks so much for the help. I actually do see exactly what you are talking about and jiggling it around is getting a response, my neighbor stopped by, he works on his own cars and knows a thing or two and he said the choke is broken and showed me how and why he came to that conclusion, so I am going to go get a new choke I guess and take it from there. I think what you are suggesting is pretty much the same thing he did. THANK YOU I really appreciate the help.