The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
fred_e81

Key cylinder will not lock or release key

A nub with a question. Recently purchased a 79 stepside with a manual 3 on the tree converted to a 3 speed floor shifter. Still has the original column but no shifter. The key tumbler will not go back to the lock position and stays in the acc on and will crank the engine. I guess this is why the battery keeps draining. I replaced the lock cylinder but that didn't help. Could it be that the original 3 speed column is somehow not in a position to let the tumbler lock in place (neutral). Also, the sleeve on the column with the turn signal moves freely. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought about buying a used floor shifter column but, if mine can be easily fixed, I would rather just go that route (budget). Please keep in mind that I am new to this scene so you might have to dumb down your replies so that I can understand. Thanks in advance!
fred_e81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
ChevDog1

Re: Key cylinder will not lock or release key

If I remember correctly, you needed to have the column shifter in reverse to remove the key. If you still have the original column, it should be a simple as putting the shift collar in the reverse position.
ChevDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
fred_e81

Thanks ChevDog1 for the reply. Since I don't have the shifter attached to the column, would you happen to know the orientation of the shift brackets at the end of the column to ensure that it is in reverse? Its my understanding that the top one is the reverse so I guess it should be turned towards driverside fender? Where should the bottom one be?
fred_e81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
ChevDog1

Sorry Fred, but I have never had one of these apart. Reverse would be towards you and up for the shift lever - I'm not sure what that translates to at the bottom of the column, or inside it. If you still have the shift rods coming out of the bottom of the column, I would just try each of the four combinations until you find the one that works. If it's anything like my '56 was, you will just have two links that rotate up and down inside the engine compartment. Reverse should be with one rod at neutral (middle of travel), and the other one rotated "up". Up would be in reference to the shifter handle, which would be CCW as viewed from the drivers seat.

Hope this helps...
ChevDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote