The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #1
Kaptain Kadian

ac cap question

I am doing a serpentine swap on my 70 c10 with factory air, but am not hooking up the air yet. I am using an ac delete bracket and am wanting to cap off the lines going into the dryer. Does anyone know if there is caps or something out there to get to cap the lines off with? Thanks
Kaptain Kadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
mechanicalman

Re: ac cap question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
I am doing a serpentine swap on my 70 c10 with factory air, but am not hooking up the air yet. I am using an ac delete bracket and am wanting to cap off the lines going into the dryer. Does anyone know if there is caps or something out there to get to cap the lines off with? Thanks
Use these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLASTIC-HOLE...d2a611&vxp=mtr

If the system is still intact, drain/reclaim/evacuate to vacuum first, otherwise the caps will have a tendency to blow off due to expansion of residual moisture. Put the caps on ASAP after you crack the lines.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Kaptain Kadian

Thanks. Do I need to put anything on over the caps, or will they stay in by friction?
Old 11-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
MARKDTN

If you are looking for a permanent solution, you may want to go to an A/C supply shop and look for some better caps. Those mentioned are really just for shipping and are not meant to take heat.

To me, if you are taking A/C off for good don't just cap it-buy all the delete parts and fully remove it. If you have intentions of making it work again, hang the compressor and hook it back up.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
Thanks. Do I need to put anything on over the caps, or will they stay in by friction?
If the system is not contaminated, and it was properly evacuated before you capped it, they will stay on regardless of what they were made for. As for heat, what heat on a non-running a/c system? They will stand up to engine compartment heat, that's less than 200 degrees unless it's turbocharged.

If they won't stay on, then the system is already contaminated with something that is expanding and they will never stay on unless you clamp them and they are not made for that.

You would then need to use rubber hoses with clamps and bolts screwed into the open ends with clamps on them as well. But it would be pointless as the system would already be contaminated.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 11-10-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: add-on
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
Kaptain Kadian

Thanks for the responses. I do plan on hooking the ac up again. I am doing a, serp swap off of a 92 chevy truck, and plan on running a sanden style compressor on it once I decide to hook it back up. I am pretty sure I was going to have to replace most of the ac system when I hooked it back up anyway. I will probably just cap them off with the hoses I took off of them crimped off.