The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2014, 02:43 AM   #1
ellisjay2

Pulling out battery during winter saving cranking amps??

Does it help to pull the battery out of my truck due to not having a garage from the winter, its getting down to the low 20's now here in north ga, its been cranking good with carb and electric choke, but is starting to sound weak on first mourning crank. Someone told me I should take battery out and bring indoors and put back in next mourning when leaving from overnight to help save cranking amps/ make cranking better....I will be buying another battery soon to get fresh start on winter on the way to snow season.
ellisjay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
donut

Re: Pulling out battery during winter saving cranking amps??

It can, but IMO, this is a stopgap measure. (father did it in the '70's when money was tight) Battery may be going south (like you mentioned), you may have a slow electrical drain, bad connections... My vehicles were always parked outside, in sub-zero temps. If they failed to crank, something was wrong. It was actually easier for me to jump it or hook up a booster charger if it started cranking slow and I didn't have time or patience to find out why.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
homemade87

Instead of taking it out you would be better off putting a battery maintainer/conditioner on it.Just unhook it when get ready to drive. The cold does take away some cranking amps as to warmer weather. The maintainer/conditioner may help the battery last a little longer if is getting weak.The worst thing you can do for a battery is let is sit around and let the voltage go down if nothing is keeping it up. The other thing to consider is your oil. If you have a heavy weight oil it will naturally crank slower. Most manuals in those days would state to use a lighter weight oil for colder temps. This is also better on the engine. Gets the oil flowing in the engine better. The newer vehicles all use 5w30 these days so not much of an issue like back then.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
Cabnchassis

Have you checked the fluid level or is it a maintenance free one?

Sometimes just topping them back off can greatly improve function if the fluid level hasn't been down long, doesn't always work but I've never seen an old battery that wasn't low on fluid anyway so you can't hurt anything. Batteries do last longer if you keep the electrolyte levels at their capacity and all at the same capacity. When you're buying cold weather batteries for a diesel every couple years it gets a lot easier to remember to check on that.

If it is low use only distilled water from the store or a distillation filter when you are adding water to car batteries.
Cabnchassis is offline   Reply With Quote