The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
jesdude7789

2wd 1990 suburban swap suspension with 82 truck?

Would I be able to convert my blue 1/2 ton 1990 R1500 2wd suburban to a 3/4 ton without modifying anything if I bought all this truck's suspension?

http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/4712343590.html

My burb sags bad in the rear and I would rather just make it a 3/4 ton anyway if possible. How much would it raise the rear compared to the 1/2 ton stance?

The tie rods are overdue for a change and the sway bar is bent anyway so I would probably do the rear one weekend and the front on the next weekend.
Attached Images

jesdude7789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
tobiahr

Re: 2wd 1990 suburban swap suspension with 82 truck?

No. You could use the parts but I believe you would need to modify some of the mounting points on the rear and the rear spring rate would not be correct.
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
jesdude7789

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiahr View Post
No. You could use the parts but I believe you would need to modify some of the mounting points on the rear and the rear spring rate would not be correct.
So I could use the front suspension without any modifications to the frame?
In the rear, I'm not worried about spring rate, just if I can use them and gain the extra weight capacity. I have plenty of tools if any modifications are required like welding or drilling different holes to move brackets around.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
tobiahr

most of the front suspensions will transfer with little to no modification. after looking up the stock springs for both of these vehicles (http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....oducts_id=7352 and http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....oducts_id=1446) it appears the rear should swap without modification. you may need to get a different driveshaft because of different yokes on the rear axles and different size u joints.
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

You may need the spring hangers in the rear also. When I converted my 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton, the original spring hangers put the springs closer to the frame. I had to use 1/2 ton spring hangers to get the springs to line up with the rear end. You could put new perches on the axle, but that seemed a lot harder to do. The front suspension bolted right in place.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
jesdude7789

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiahr View Post
most of the front suspensions will transfer with little to no modification. after looking up the stock springs for both of these vehicles (http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....oducts_id=7352 and http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....oducts_id=1446) it appears the rear should swap without modification. you may need to get a different driveshaft because of different yokes on the rear axles and different size u joints.
I was at the pick a part in Austin over the weekend and I found a 4x4 suburban in there with a 10 bolt rear axle that was a 3.42 ratio. It had 6 lug axles though. I thought about getting the whole thing off of there with the springs as one unit but I just didn't have time that day. I was also not sure about it since I would have to find out if the 5 lug axles on my suburban would swap out with the 6 lug versions that were in it. maybe next time there will be a good 2wd unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
You may need the spring hangers in the rear also. When I converted my 3/4 ton to 1/2 ton, the original spring hangers put the springs closer to the frame. I had to use 1/2 ton spring hangers to get the springs to line up with the rear end. You could put new perches on the axle, but that seemed a lot harder to do. The front suspension bolted right in place.
Well at least I know the front stuff will swap right in so that's awesome. While I was at the yard I saw only springs that were too heavy or too light or also worn out and sagging. Mine are 4/1 type. 4 springs, 1 rebound "spring" they call it. I was hoping to find something that was 5/1 or 6/1. Only thing I could find was 3/1 on lighter duty trucks or 8/1 on those 4x4 burbs. I'll keep looking around. I plan to go to my local pick your part this weekend in Houston.