The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
K10Chase

Need help getting truck level

Kind of a long-winded question, but I have a 76 K10 that is lifted what is supposed to be 4in from the last owner with 33x12.5r15s. The problem is I do not know the brand lift I have, I know its blocked in the rear and has rancho shocks and rides pretty stiff. The reason for this post, however, is ever since I've owned the truck it has a small rake on it with the front sitting lower than the rear and I am to the point where I want to get it to sit level. I am also considering possibly moving up to a 35x12.5r15 at some point so I am taking that into account when looking at possibilities for lifting the front end more. I'd rather not trim the fenders, so does it make sense to buy a 6" leaf lift for the front and leave the block in the back to make it sit level or should I switch to a shackle flip in the rear and take the block out? I do use the truck for work so I want it to still be practical to carry loads. Like I said this is a long post, but any help is appreciated. I attached how it currently sits below.
Attached Images

K10Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
mattybilt79

Re: Need help getting truck level

Every 4x4 I've bought that had rear blocks got changed to a shackle flip. Every stock truck I've lifted I used a shackle flip my personal preference. Considering its a truck if you don't haul much in the bed its going to sit higher in back. You can put in a zero rate 1 inch block in front to bring it up a little and move front axle forward to keep it from hitting the rear of the wheel well. As fas as the rough ride its a cheap lift nothing more to it. Those were mass produced lift kits. Spring rates were not taken into consideration hence 4 or 5 thick leaves and given how short they are you get a stiff ride. I would suggest checking out the ORD web site offroaddesign.com I've always got parts from them and always been happy with their service.
mattybilt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
K10Chase

Yeah I have been looking at ORD stuff for years, but I'm considering DIY4x because their stuff is a little better priced. I think I am going to need more than an inch in the front, I'm thinking just replacing the 4in leafs in the front with a better brand. If I had done this lift myself I definitely would've done it better because I don't like blocks either. However, I do use the truck to haul hay and many other things so I often questioned if the shackle flip will have the same strength, but I think it will be fine.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
Rubble

You could take a couple leaf springs out of the rear set to help level it out.Far as the blocks vs shackle flip,depends on you. I've got blocks in my 80 K20,been on over 20 years & beat on that truck lots.Never had a problem with them,keep U bolts tight & your good.Any truck I ever lifted always has a bit of rake,time I get tools & stuff in them they level out anyway.

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
K10Chase

Yeah I mean this truck is really stiff and daily driving I would love for it to be a little smoother and I would really like to raise the front up instead of dropping the rear with better leafs like the tuff country ez rides or superlift ones. I wouldn't mind it having a little rake, but it is really noticeable and I wouldn't mind having the front a little higher in case I want to switch to 35"s in the future.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:18 AM   #6
K5owner

➕1 on the tuff country ez rides. They really ride much better then anything else short of custom springs on the market.
K5owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
Bigstevex4

just plain off what it needs to lower off the blocks
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Kinze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstevex4 View Post
just plain off what it needs to lower off the blocks