The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
Possmguts

95 C4 Vette suspension swap

About to buy a full front suspension set up from a 94 or 95 C4 Vette for the project truck. Has anyone here done this and what sort of headaches should I expect? There is a guy pretty local to me who does this to old trucks and has jigs to get everything where it needs to be. Ride height can be adjusted before its welded to the frame. Cradle and all replaces stock cradle. Rack and pinion, disks, calipers... every thing.
I was toying with doing the rear as well with the independent set up, but I believe Ill stick with the 4 link and maybe go a coil over set up. Not a fan of the bags... heres the set up..
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/4727336114.html

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: 95 C4 Vette suspension swap

The front you can buy a kit off http://www.flatout-engineering.com/products.html the rear your kinda on your own to make fit.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
The front you can buy a kit off http://www.flatout-engineering.com/products.html the rear your kinda on your own to make fit.
I can get the full front set up for 550 bucks for a 95, or 400 for an 88ish. Ive seen the work the guy I mentioned does this and its top notch. 1500 labor and 550 for the set up plus what ever I have to come up with to get the steering shaft back in and pump hooked up should be a considerable amount cheaper than one of the after market set ups. Im sure Im just gonna go with the 4 link tube with coil overs in the back.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I'm curious what the benefits of such a swap are. Trying to learn something here, because these trucks already have independent suspension and, other than reliability and good looks, was for decades a reason these trucks were desirable. We started "clipping" old solid beam axle trucks with car suspension, obviously for a better ride. But,why is not so obvious for me here, that's all. It sounds cool and all, but isn't it a system built much lighter to carry a much lighter sports car? I understand many don't haul with their trucks. And, I know people autocross these trucks these days,too. But courses are smooth and don't present a lot of "shock" on the system

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Any idea on price for front and rear install kits? I have a 55 second series that needs updating.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
brad_man_72
the boat guy

The rear looks pretty easy except the foreward mouns depending on desired ride height.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm curious what the benefits of such a swap are. Trying to learn something here, because these trucks already have independent suspension and, other than reliability and good looks, was for decades a reason these trucks were desirable. We started "clipping" old solid beam axle trucks with car suspension, obviously for a better ride. But,why is not so obvious for me here, that's all. It sounds cool and all, but isn't it a system built much lighter to carry a much lighter sports car? I understand many don't haul with their trucks. And, I know people autocross these trucks these days,too. But courses are smooth and don't present a lot of "shock" on the system
To me its to drop some weight and create a more responsive suspension. Doing it this way saves tons on having to buy the disk brakes, the tubular A arms, the rack and pinion steering and everything else. By cutting out the heavy cross member and installing the full set up in one shot saves time, money, headaches, and weight.
Thats the reason Im doing it anyway.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
RichardJ

What are his priced for the Dana 44 and Dana 36?
Old 11-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The curb weight of the C4 corvette was 3239-3300 pounds depending upon model year. The Curb weight of my 67 stepside is 3300 pounds. So, is the corvette suspension "for a much lighter sports car"? Not when compared to a 67 shortbed.

The main difference is in unsprung weight. That is, the weight of brakes, spindles, upper and lower control arms and the outer tie rods. The corvette pieces are aluminum, the truck pieces are steel. The lighter these pieces are, the quicker suspension responds and the lower the rebound forces are. That is, the springs do not have to work as hard to stop the upward motion of the wheel after hitting a bump and contact with the road after striking a bump is restored much more rapidly.

That's the theory, at least. The difficulty with transplanting that suspension onto a truck chassis is the truck has a higher CG and a different roll center. The geometry of the corvette suspension is designed to work with the CG and spring rates in that car. Unless the suspension mounting points are moved and the corvette geometry maintained, this mod might not work well at all. The transplant can actually result in a loss of handling, not a gain; and it will empty your wallet very quickly if you have to pay to repair a hack job.

Art Morrison has a chassis for our trucks with independent front and rear suspension intended for the Pro Touring circuit but it is not cheap. Performance never is!
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
The curb weight of the C4 corvette was 3239-3300 pounds depending upon model year. The Curb weight of my 67 stepside is 3300 pounds. So, is the corvette suspension "for a much lighter sports car"? Not when compared to a 67 shortbed.

The main difference is in unsprung weight. That is, the weight of brakes, spindles, upper and lower control arms and the outer tie rods. The corvette pieces are aluminum, the truck pieces are steel. The lighter these pieces are, the quicker suspension responds and the lower the rebound forces are. That is, the springs do not have to work as hard to stop the upward motion of the wheel after hitting a bump and contact with the road after striking a bump is restored much more rapidly.

That's the theory, at least. The difficulty with transplanting that suspension onto a truck chassis is the truck has a higher CG and a different roll center. The geometry of the corvette suspension is designed to work with the CG and spring rates in that car. Unless the suspension mounting points are moved and the corvette geometry maintained, this mod might not work well at all. The transplant can actually result in a loss of handling, not a gain; and it will empty your wallet very quickly if you have to pay to repair a hack job.

Art Morrison has a chassis for our trucks with independent front and rear suspension intended for the Pro Touring circuit but it is not cheap. Performance never is!
Hey Fitz-think it might work on this one? LOL
Attached Images

mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
I hear ya... The thing is that the entire set up can be adjusted for the ride height before its welded into place while keeping everything at the correct angle for proper ride while sitting the engine lower thus lowering the CG.
This guy specializes in mid 40s to mid 60s trucks and this will be the first 67 hes doing, so that would be my only concern. Doing it like this keeps all the geometry correct for alignment.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
Tinkermc

There is or was a build like this going on the follow my build forum on this site. The guy owns a machine shop and is doing all the work himself, I do not remember his name. You should go there and try to find him.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
skorpioskorpio

Actually most of the common aftermarket crossmember swaps (no Limit, Porterbuilt, Scotts Hotrods) essentially mimic the C5 suspension geometry, so I'm not sure what gain you'd get over one of those. They all use Mustang racks, all use much lighter tubular control arms. Also a 'Vette is about 6 inches narrower than one of these trucks.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
Actually most of the common aftermarket crossmember swaps (no Limit, Porterbuilt, Scotts Hotrods) essentially mimic the C5 suspension geometry, so I'm not sure what gain you'd get over one of those. They all use Mustang racks, all use much lighter tubular control arms. Also a 'Vette is about 6 inches narrower than one of these trucks.
Thats one of the questions I was looking to get an answer to. What are my options to make up for the width difference other than spacers..?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
skorpioskorpio

Longer rod ends for the steering I suppose, also the swaybar will not be usable if the track is radically increased. The Corvette will also be set up for much more positive offset in the wheels then a truck so you'll need to take that into consideration as well.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #16
Possmguts

The 94 vettes has 13" x 3/4" rotors and the 95 has 13" X 1" rotors. Im going with the 95. Both are 62 and 1/4" wide hub face to hub face. Gonna pull my wheels and see what the truck is this weekend to get an idea of whats gonna need to be done as far as wheels go.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Thanks for the explanations. I guess the weights are closer than I thought.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote