The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
AirSpeed

Hissing from brake booster

I just noticed a hissing noise coming from my beak booster. I can hear the sound change if I hold my finger at the bottom of the master cylinder where it meets the booster can. Do I need a new booster?
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
hamjet

Re: Hissing from brake booster

I mentioned in your other post it might be a vacuum leak. This may be it. disconnect and plug where it goes to the manifold and see if that solves the rough running problem. did you get it running long enough to get the cam broken in yet?
Old 11-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Hissing from brake booster

You need to take the master a part and see if the seal is in it are has blown out. If it is leaking then as stated it could be a bad one and could be giving u a fit on idling also.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSpeed View Post
I just noticed a hissing noise coming from my beak booster.
Maybe one of your nostrils is clogged?

I'm really only posting to say do not try to take the booster apart. It can be done with a press and fixture and knowledge, but the first time I tried it one half took off across the garage and smashed a dent into my '69 Camaro two stalls away. Which was way better than hitting me, so I wasn't too mad.

In other words, they're unless a massive amount of counterspring pressure inside.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
I mentioned in your other post it might be a vacuum leak. This may be it. disconnect and plug where it goes to the manifold and see if that solves the rough running problem. did you get it running long enough to get the cam broken in yet?
I had the vac line to the booster plugged, hadn't hooked it to the booster till later. I did get the cam broken in, in the paperwork it recommended running it at 2000 rpm for 30 minutes. All went great, oil pressure great and ran nice and cool. Once the cam was broken in it ran way better, don't know why but it's pretty smooth. Didn't see any smoke out the exhaust, it runs nice now.
I took it for a drive and tried to stop, no power brakes and one of the return springs on the carb fell off the same time, it was terrifying! I couldn't stop so I shut it off and used the park brake just in time not to run into the napa store! I haven't got on it yet but I can already feel a lot more power than my old engine, it sounds nice too, just a little cam action, not to much. Can't wait to get the engine totally broke in so I can floor it!
Old 11-04-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Maybe one of your nostrils is clogged?

I'm really only posting to say do not try to take the booster apart. It can be done with a press and fixture and knowledge, but the first time I tried it one half took off across the garage and smashed a dent into my '69 Camaro two stalls away. Which was way better than hitting me, so I wasn't too mad.

In other words, they're unless a massive amount of counterspring pressure inside.
Thanks for the warning! I wouldn't try to fix something like that, I'm just going to get a new one, only $71 at NAPA.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Hissing from brake booster

Take the master loose from the booster is nothing to worry about. It's where the rod comes through to push the master cylinder rod so the fluid can flow. Check it and see if the seal is bad. With vehicle off and bleed the booster down by unplugging the vacuum source to it. Then take the nuts loose and pull it a part and see if the seal is in deed come a part. A new seal is maybe 2 are 3 dollars!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Take the master loose from the booster is nothing to worry about. It's where the rod comes through to push the master cylinder rod so the fluid can flow. Check it and see if the seal is bad. With vehicle off and bleed the booster down by unplugging the vacuum source to it. Then take the nuts loose and pull it a part and see if the seal is in deed come a part. A new seal is maybe 2 are 3 dollars!
Thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow. Wouldn't mind saving a few bucks! Been an expensive month! New tires, new engine, I could use a brake! (Get it, brake! I know, I'm hilarious!)
Old 11-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
AirSpeed

I've decided to just replace my brake booster, don't want to mess around. Went to my local NAPA store and they show two boosters for my truck, neither is in stock so I don't want to have them order the wrong one. My truck is a 72 gmc k1500, do any of you know the part number? Thanks!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
AirSpeed

My new vac booster will be here in the am, I'm wondering if I can switch boosters without messing with the brake lines, it looks like a simple job but I've never pulled a booster before. Are there any special steps required or is it a simple switch?
Old 11-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #11
leddzepp

Pretty simple. Just need to bend the lines a bit and pop it off.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #12
AirSpeed

Well I installed my new brake booster a while back but it didn't help much, ended up adding a vacuum canister and it made a big difference, almost acceptable but I still think I'm going to get a vacuum pump. Looked at some on Summit and Jegs but they want $250! I'm sure I need a high volume pump but $250 seems crazy. I already have the vacuum tank so I just need a vacuum pump. Any of you found a sub $100 vacuum pump that will work?
Old 11-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
engineer_gregh

What cam are you running?
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote