The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
jastewart25

Advice On Rear Disc Brake Kit

Hi All,

Just bought my first square and I'm not really mechanical so any and all advice is helpful.

It's a 1985 K10 10 bolt axle with drum brakes that pulls to the right consistently upon braking. After checking everything out, I've decided to install disc brakes.

1) Any recs on kits? Summit Racing? Jegs? Etc...

2) Do I have to do both front and back or just the rear?

Thank you all!
jastewart25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:12 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Advice On Rear Disc Brake Kit

You will have to change the master cylinder and maybe the proportioning valve.As far as kits go some have a ebrake some don't so if that matters to you get the one you need.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
86c20

whats the use of the truck? i tow alot and the drums are fine if u know how to drive. not saying dont do it just saying maybe money well spent else where
1978 monte carlo 350 350th with 2.73 gears. no rust. sc car
86c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
riz

you should only have drums on the rear. You'll need a proportioning valve to switch to rear discs.

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
INSIDIOUS '86

IMHO it's a waste of money. Esp considering that the same money used can be had on upgrades for the front brakes and yield a 100% improvement over rear discs alone.

The rears never did that from factory so there's still something wrong. Make sure big pads are on back (BOB, Big On Back) and no grease or oils. Drums are turned fresh and all components new.

Blackbirds customs has some good rear disc kits for a decent price if you still want them
On top of what others have said. Also change out rear brake lines for smaller lines like the front instead of the large tube for drums.
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
jastewart25

truck use is daily driving around town and on farm.

not towing anything except a 4 wheeler to and from deer camp about 50 miles away.

calipers/pads/hoses etc all checked out.

from little to hard braking it's a serious pull to the right. definitely not drivable safety wise on highway.

so, some people say switch the front only, others say the rear? i'm confused: can i just switch both and be done with it? i really want straight-line braking.

as for the cylinder and prop valve, what's the expense associated with this? is it hard to switch out? i have access to a mechanic who will be installing the kit.

i just hate that i spent all that money on the truck and i can't drive it! it's like having a toy on christmas you can't play with.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
jastewart25

[QUOTE=INSIDIOUS '86;6929319]
The rears never did that from factory so there's still something wrong.

so you think that the problem lies in the rear vs the front on truck?

thanks for advice!
Old 11-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
Stepper86

Are you sure your problem is the rear brakes? If you can feel that much pulling when you brake I would be more inclined to think your problem is up front. Uneaven brakes on the rear is not that noticable.
1986 C-10 Stepside (project "my time")
1992 Corvette cab (summer time daily driver)
1969 Cadilac DeVille Cab ("it just need some paint")
Stepper86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
jastewart25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepper86 View Post
Are you sure your problem is the rear brakes? If you can feel that much pulling when you brake I would be more inclined to think your problem is up front. Uneaven brakes on the rear is not that noticable.
i agree. i don't think it's the rear at all. that's why i'm asking if i have to change both rear and front?

thanks!
Old 11-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
Bigstevex4

Spend your money on what you want> But back my lifted 4WD days that mod was at least a grand. Unless your running some real large diameter tires you wont notice any Benefit. You'll probably find pulling problem is a stuck piston or slider with caliper.
Bigstevex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #11
krazy_texan

I would put new calipers and pads on the front re bleed the system and see how much your brakes improve you likely have a stuck calipee or guide pins
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
homemade87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastewart25 View Post
Hi All,

Just bought my first square and I'm not really mechanical so any and all advice is helpful.

It's a 1985 K10 10 bolt axle with drum brakes that pulls to the right consistently upon braking. After checking everything out, I've decided to install disc brakes.

1) Any recs on kits? Summit Racing? Jegs? Etc...

2) Do I have to do both front and back or just the rear?

Thank you all!
Jastewart, I agree with a post above , if you are pulling left or right it is not the rear . The front has a problem . It is a very common problem that the front hoses will calapse inside . It will either hold pressure or not allow pressure . This will cause only one side to work proper and could cause your problem of pulling to one side. If it was me I think I would replace both front caliper hoses and see if that fixed your problem before replacing all. If it does, great. If not then a caliper could be the problem . Either way its best to replace both hoses anyway.

If changing to rear wheel disc, its not as easy as that. The bolt up part goes fine . It getting the proper balance to the front and rear . You have changed the hole design and balance of the system. I just went thru this with a big battle to get my braking peddle at a acceptable feel. Do a search on here and will will see most have a soft peddle after a rear wheel disc change and a imbalance front to rear.

If all you want is a descent braking system I would keep the rear drums and save you the hassle of figuring out your brake system after a disc conversion.. They are fine for what you want to do. Fix the front . That seem to be where your problem is.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
andrewmp6

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
IMHO it's a waste of money. Esp considering that the same money used can be had on upgrades for the front brakes and yield a 100% improvement over rear discs alone.

The rears never did that from factory so there's still something wrong. Make sure big pads are on back (BOB, Big On Back) and no grease or oils. Drums are turned fresh and all components new.

Blackbirds customs has some good rear disc kits for a decent price if you still want them
On top of what others have said. Also change out rear brake lines for smaller lines like the front instead of the large tube for drums.
Blackbirds customs closed up shop http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #14
jastewart25

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Jastewart, If all you want is a descent braking system I would keep the rear drums and save you the hassle of figuring out your brake system after a disc conversion..
thank you homemade87 and to all who have given input.

y'all have most definitely changed my mind about rear disc conversion.

i will replace hoses/pads/calipers and bleed the brakes to start. i have a feeling it will be fixed after this (praying!)

thanks again for hopefully saving me $ and heartache!