The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
leddzepp

Question Big Block A/C mounting bracket question

I am in the process of getting the factory A/C up and running for the summer. When I bought my truck, it was all original except for the exhaust manifolds were replaced with headers. I have gone back to the OEM exhaust manifolds, and have a question about one of the mounting points on the lower A/C support bracket. Is there a "spacer" between the bracket and the manifold? Or does the bracket simply "rest" against a nut that attaches on a short threaded stud (pictured below). If there is a spacer between them, I would assume a longer stud is needed, that extends all the way through the lower A/C bracket, and then a nut is used on the outside of that to secure both the bracket and the exhaust manifold.

Here is a closeup pic of what I am talking about, and a panned out pic, showing a larger view. The short threaded stud is a little rusty, just above the spark plug. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Big Block A/C mounting bracket question

This may help you.

Jim
Attached Images

1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
99-LS1-SS

It looks like the gap is where a stud bolt would go.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
leddzepp

Thanks for the pic Jim. It looks like a longer stud should go there so that it comes all the way throught the A/C bracket.

I pulled the short stud out today, and guess what...? It runs through a water jacket I ended up with antifreeze all over the floor. Now I have to drain the block down past that point, and let it dry out. I am just going to get a regular manifold bolt, cover it in RTV, and re-install it. I should have just left it alone to begin with, the A/C bracket worked fine before. If I had known it ran through a water jacket, I would never have removed the stud. Oh well, live and learn

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 05-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #5
Livrat
Member #1049

That would cause me a bit of concern as I am fairly certain that stud/bolt should not go into a water jacket,
Well... at least none of the many big blocks I have owned over the years ever had the front exhaust manifold mounting location go into water.
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 AM   #6
leddzepp

It does cause me concern...I have never run across such a thing either. I took the stud out, and it was not an extended length or corroded or anything that would lead me to believe it punched through something It came out fairly easily, I used pliers and did not need blaster or any lube to get it out. It did not start leaking water immediately, just as I popped it out at the end. As soon as I threaded it back in, the leak stopped until of course I fired the truck up and then it proceeded to drip under pressure. When I threaded in a new longer stud, it threaded in easily, and went in very deep with no problem or resistance leading me to believe I was in a water jacket. I know I did not punch through anything (at least i dont think I did) because I threaded it by hand easily. So now, I just used a regular manifold bolt with sealant to see if that stops the leak. If not, it looks like I will need new heads

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 11-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
hdff

Leddzepp on your original set up with headers what kind of bolt was used for the lower a/c bracket. With oem manifolds it looks like the bolt used is a bolt with a stud off the head of the bolt. I have headers with header bolts, the PO did not install the brackets for the a/c. I am wanting to get the original brackets back on to get the ac going, I am just trying to figure out what kind of bolt I need to use and if I need to try to find an original bolt. This is on a big block. Also is there 8 or 9 brackets needed? The truck and car shop cat only shows 8 . Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I am in the process of getting the factory A/C up and running for the summer. When I bought my truck, it was all original except for the exhaust manifolds were replaced with headers. I have gone back to the OEM exhaust manifolds, and have a question about one of the mounting points on the lower A/C support bracket. Is there a "spacer" between the bracket and the manifold? Or does the bracket simply "rest" against a nut that attaches on a short threaded stud (pictured below). If there is a spacer between them, I would assume a longer stud is needed, that extends all the way through the lower A/C bracket, and then a nut is used on the outside of that to secure both the bracket and the exhaust manifold.

Here is a closeup pic of what I am talking about, and a panned out pic, showing a larger view. The short threaded stud is a little rusty, just above the spark plug. Thanks for the help.

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by hdff; 11-27-2014 at 09:28 AM.
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote