The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #26
Sixteen Tons

Re: Decided to keep my inline 6 and improve it.

Definitely interested in the possibilities this raises. My only hesitation is that I really, truly enjoy my 3 on the tree.... It has drawbacks for sure, but with the linkages properly adjusted and lubed it's problem free, not to mention the great conversations I've had with older (than me!!) fellas who have fond memories of their past 3OTT's.
And frankly, if it is even possible to design a 5OTT, it is far beyond my weathered intellect. I'll wait for some other genius to figure it out.....
Old 12-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #27
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixteen Tons View Post
Definitely interested in the possibilities this raises. My only hesitation is that I really, truly enjoy my 3 on the tree.... It has drawbacks for sure, but with the linkages properly adjusted and lubed it's problem free, not to mention the great conversations I've had with older (than me!!) fellas who have fond memories of their past 3OTT's.
And frankly, if it is even possible to design a 5OTT, it is far beyond my weathered intellect. I'll wait for some other genius to figure it out.....
I don't know, but can you put a gear vender's overdrive/underdrive behind a 3 speed ott?

Just a thought.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #28
Craftsmen

My 3 on the tree was converted to the floor by the previous owner, it works very well. It's a Hurst Indy shifter, I believe he purchased it through Summit. I drive with the bench seat all the back which works good and clears the shifter fine. When my wife drives, to push the clutch properly she has to adjust the seat closer to the wheel. At this position it really crowds the shifter. The other issue is my reverse lights don't work since originaly tied into the steering column. I did receive most of the linkage etc. from the po but it looks pretty worn out to me. Was thinking of putting it back on the tree if I kept the 3 speed. I'm torn between keeping it stock or converting to a 4 or 5 speed. When I first bought the truck I was thinking I wanted to make like a muscle truck out of it, souped up small block, 4 speed, posi traction, etc. The longer I have the truck I'm starting to appreciate the originality of it and starting to appreciate what it was in 1970. I have lowered 4/6, did the power disc front brake conversion, sway bar. The truck just looks awesome and stops better than my 2011 Silverado. So here I am thinking of making the 250 a little more fun and a little HOT ROD too
Craftsmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #29
Craftsmen

Here she is...
Attached Images

Craftsmen is offline   Reply With Quote