The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Lost81c10

Rusty Roof

I am in the process attacking something that is or has been all too familiar to all of us, fixing the rusty roof on my 85 as it really needed the attention before it becomes too late. At first look I thought it had some surface rust and thought that I would hit it with some 80g and it would come off in no time however, I quickly realized that it would not be the case. The sanding did work to a degree, but the rust was still there. So I had to turn to a different approach, (chemical approach). I have been using the Naval Jelly approach as stated in a thread in another forum which some of you here were involved in and it has been working for the most part as you can see in the first pic, but it has been a time consuming task with plenty of elbow grease to go with that. On the first pic I have done about five applications and after each application process, I hit it with 80g before the next.
My questions are; how much of the rust does need to come off before it can be safe to shoot epoxy? Does it all need to come off? If I can get away with not all of it coming off, do I have to do other prep before epoxy? Does anyone have an easier tried-and-true approach you might have used, I guess blasting would be a lot easier but I don’t have that kind of eqpt. I am willing to continue this process as it does work, slowly, but I just wanted to ask before I continue with it. Thanks for the help.

Mando.
Attached Images

Lost81c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Hiluxxulih

Re: Rusty Roof

Was your truck made in Canada ? my 1985 Chevy has rusty roof syndrome too .
Old 12-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

I used a angle grinder with a wire cup brush, and it did the trick for me.

Have not used the jelly in 20 some years to answer on that, but I remember it being easy.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

go to a good auto body supply store they sell a chemical that you can apply to smoothed rust that neutralizes it

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Lost81c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
go to a good auto body supply store they sell a chemical that you can apply to smoothed rust that neutralizes it
do you happen to know what that is called? So once applied and neutralized, I can epoxy it and it won’t grow back under the epoxy? I will stop by the paint store after work to check and see what they have. thanks.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
Lost81c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiluxxulih View Post
Was your truck made in Canada ? my 1985 Chevy has rusty roof syndrome too .
I dont really know where it came from. i think i knew once but i dont seem to remember. it was not this bad but me not knowing anything, about a year ago i saw some paint peeling and a bit of rust on it so i decided to sand it and take it off, well i did but it grew back ten time more. lesson learned there. so now i am sanding all my body part down to bear metal and epoxying them. did my fenders and hood now i need my roof. after that will be my cab and doors and last the bed.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
Hiluxxulih

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost81c10 View Post
I dont really know where it came from. i think i knew once but i dont seem to remember. it was not this bad but me not knowing anything, about a year ago i saw some paint peeling and a bit of rust on it so i decided to sand it and take it off, well i did but it grew back ten time more. lesson learned there. so now i am sanding all my body part down to bear metal and epoxying them. did my fenders and hood now i need my roof. after that will be my cab and doors and last the bed.
I was just wondering if it was Canadian built truck thing because mine is the same way and it was made in Canada and sold in the USA .
Old 12-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
donut

I thought there was rust, lol.
Gumball machine flashing light for the plow helped to rot a 12" hole in the center of my K-20's roof.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote