The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
frstclsswhttrsh

87 GMC Crew Cab 2wd to 4wd

I have an 87 GMC 1ton crew cab, 2wd with 454 / sm465. Original plan was to lower it but my wife traded in her SUV for a Dodge Charger and we need a 4x4 available living in CO. She also wants me to swap to an automatic so its easier for her to drive. I'm a little upset about changing up my project...but anytime your wife gives you a green light to mod your truck you better jump on it! haha

So, I have a Dana 44 out of a 74 3/4 ton with disc brakes and 8 lug, 4:10 gears (matches the rear axle in my truck). I think the Dana 44 will be fine because it will only be used for driving in the snow if necessary... no serious 4 wheeling.

My question is, will this bolt up fairly simple to the 2wd frame? Drill new holes for hanger/shackle and adjust steering linkage? Relocate spring perches? I assumed the biggest pain would be removing the k member from the 2wd set up.

Also I have a th400 with transfer case... so just need to move the cross member back? Get new or modify front and rear drive shafts? stand alone tranny cooler? after market floor shifter?

Any advice or information is appreciated! Thanks!

frstclsswhttrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
tip

Re: 87 GMC Crew Cab 2wd to 4wd

Nice truck! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

You'll be able to find plenty of info on this site regarding the 4x4 swap. I went through a period of converting my C30 to 4x4 but ending up buying an original 4x4. LOTS of info to seep through
tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
frstclsswhttrsh

Definitely found a lot of info on this site...thanks! Also got a lot of good info from the people at Offroad Design.

I had a question concerning the flywheel/flexplate with the transmission swap though... Is the flywheel from a manual transmission weighted the same as the automatic transmission flexplate? Or will I have to change the balancer on the front of my motor along with the new flexplate to match?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
lahnen

I had a donor k30 when I converted my c30 dump. I striped my truck down to bare frame rails, crossmember and all taken out, cut the donor truck frame rails under the cab, put them along side my frame and marked the holes I needed and drilled them, bolted all the 4x4 suspension and crossmembers up. was a lot easier than I expected. I think majority of it was done in a day. you will have to relocate your trans crossmember , which is no big deal. just got a 82 crew dually that thinkin about converting as well with a lift
lahnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
frstclsswhttrsh

Tracked down a transfer case yesterday. NP205 out of an 88 1 ton. It was behind an sm465 with a long 32 spline tail shaft. When I got home I realized my adapter wasn't going to work, I didn't know that the adapters were different between 205s and 208s (I learned last night that the adapter that came with my trans was for a 208)...I thought 6 bolt was 6 bolt haha. Anyway, now I need to find a th400 to np205 adapter.