The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
man7sell

Question Steering wheel loose

I have replaced the steering wheel last week. On the. Way back from the store the steering wheel came loose. OK so I thought I had not tightened it enough, so took it apart but the actual wheel was not loose it appears to be the shaft to the tilt steering. Past that it appears to be tight. Anyone. Experienced this? What's wrong?
Old 12-14-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
NJ C10 Guy

Re: Steering wheel loose

There are 4 bolts deep in the column that become loose on tilt columns. It's not very uncommon. Check YouTube for videos on diagnosing and fixing the problem.
NJ C10 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
man7sell

Thanks I'll do that. I have a feeling that I may have messed it up myself. When changing the steering wheel I inadvertently left out a spring. I understand there is a bearing in the steering, does this spring hold on the bearing or am I off base? It appears that the 4 bolts mentions will be a pain to get at

See attached pic showing your 4 bolts and at the upper right the left out spring.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
FarmerDale

Yes the spring holds the retaining clip that holds the bearing race with the proper tension. The spring is just below the lock plate. You really are over halfway to getting to the torx head bolts that come loose. Tip from me - don't force the retaining clip too hard. It is just light sheet metal and will deform easily. Part is available from dealer, but in an expensive spring pack.
FarmerDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:20 AM   #5
man7sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerDale View Post
Yes the spring holds the retaining clip that holds the bearing race with the proper tension. The spring is just below the lock plate. You really are over halfway to getting to the torx head bolts that come loose. Tip from me - don't force the retaining clip too hard. It is just light sheet metal and will deform easily. Part is available from dealer, but in an expensive spring pack.
Awesome thanks. That is hopefully and logically the problem, that and my lack of experience. Thanks