The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2014, 06:17 AM   #1
romm

Where to find a certain dash part??

A few months ago I bought a 1978 GMC 4x4. The shift indicator was missing, so I bought a new one from LMC (with some other dash parts too). Upon removing most of the dash parts, I noticed that the bottom right tab of the dash cluster housing was broken off. This is the part that the indicator wire linkage runs through. Well I can't seem to find where to buy this darn part anywhere, except on Ebay where you have to buy the whole cluster for a small fortune. Does anyone know of a place that sells this part as a new replacement?

Example pic (found searching in this forum) of the part below:

romm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Ski-me

Re: Where to find a certain dash part??

I think you are refering to the housing being damaged somehow. You might be able to use a little fiberglass filler (gorilla hair mesh with the epoxy) and form a slight clump. Then go back in with a drill or chissel or grinder and cut back to form the part to make it work. this method could also be used for broken tabs on the instrument cluster, etc too.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
romm

Yes I am looking for a whole new plastic housing as the ones posted in the pic. I can't seem to find these as a reproduction part anywhere. Only old ones on Ebay that come with the whole dash cluster, and usually way too high priced.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is reproducing the plastic cluster housings.

Repairing your existing one like Jeff said is probably your best option. Although that lower/right tab where the shift indicator cable goes through would probably be difficult to re-create. So cutting that section from a junk cluster housing and gluing it onto yours would probably be the easiest fix. The warning light style clusters make good donors for this type of thing because they're usually cheaper than the more desirable gauge clusters but all of the outer tabs are the same. It'll probably be cheaper/easier to find a junk housing at a salvage yard instead of ebay.

In fact, the reference pic you used is of a 77 tach cluster housing that I repaired a while back. The far left mounting tab was missing so I cut one from a junk cluster and glued it into place with some Permatex "Plastic Weld" epoxy. Then I freshened it up with some white Krylon Fusion plastic paint.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #5
romm

Yeah I read that thread and that's where I got your pics. That thread came up on Google when I did a "1978 GMC dash housing" search. When I saw that pic, i was hoping that the one at the bottom was new! You did a good job on that one. It looks like I'm gonna have to rig something up in order for my shift indicator to work. It's crazy that out of all the parts you can find from LMC and Classic Industries there isn't a replacement for this one. At LMC, it looks like they literally have EVERY part for the dash, except that one. They even have the little foam gaskets for the blinkers and small info/warning lights!
Old 12-12-2014, 02:46 AM   #6
mr.chevyblack

ive got one or 2 or 10 of them you need one with a electric oil pressure? big fuel gauge
Attached Images

mr.chevyblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:46 AM   #7
romm

My dash has the large fuel gauge on the right, speedo in the center, and only the 4 idiot lights (no gauges) on the left half of the cluster. PM me if you have one you can sell! Thanks
Old 12-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
Ski-me

Just keep in mind that any cluster of this age "can" be brittle. So be cautious and don't get too upset if something snaps off easily. Still say....fiberglass body repair is worth a shot with nothing to lose.

Also, one thing to do before re-installing.....spray the inside of the cluster with chrome paint. This will really help brighten up your gauges at night with the standard bulbs.

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #9
mr.chevyblack

heres the pics
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #10
mr.chevyblack

more
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 12:57 AM   #11
romm

Yep, that's the same as my dash. The bottom right tab with the parking indicator wire channel is what is missing from my housing. That would be awful hard to replicate with fiberglass filler...

Last edited by romm; 12-18-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

I found somebody screwed a wheel into that hole in my 79,works fine.
but not if it's all gone
Attached Images

Last edited by motornut; 12-18-2014 at 10:46 AM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote