The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
jb3t

78 C10 - What are my in-dash tach options? I'm looking at GMSports aftermarket tach.

Sorry for the dup thread but I made a bad typo on my other thread's title that renders it almost useless. My bad.

I've got a 1978 C10 that has the jumbo gas gauge and an empty space in the lower left. I'd like to put a tach in without doing too much damage to the housing and being as plug-and-play as possible.

Have any of you installed the tach from GM Sports? If so, is it plug-and-play?
http://www.gmsports.com/content/new-...and-gmc-trucks

In a perfect world, I'd like to have the fuel gauge in the lower left and the tach taking over the jumbo fuel gauge. I've read through a lot of the posts on this and it seems that if you go this route, you have to a) find an OEM tach somewhere and b) hack up the box to get it to fit. Is this right?

Last note... I have read a ton of posts on this but have not found conclusive info on the GM Sports product

Thanks.
jb3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
jb3t

Re: 78 C10 - What are my in-dash tach options? I'm looking at GMSports aftermarket t

PS... This is the best thread that I have found on the GM Sports Tach -> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=470240. It's real informative.

I am curious if you all have had more recent experience or what are the options for a tach where gas gauge is now and moving gas gauge to lower left empty spot.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
RUN GMC

Re: 78 C10 - What are my in-dash tach options? I'm looking at GMSports aftermarket t

Before you do anything just check this video out(starts out weak but ends strong)........you can customize stock.....meaning you can match stock and upgrade at the same time.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0YgkIC6OVs
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
man7sell

I have just installed an aftermarket tach but I mounted it on the column. The space on the lower left, is that where the Brake light is normally? I thought of moving that and putting the tach there to match the other three instruments.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
rich weyand

I installed the GM Sports tach/fuel combo gauge. Very happy with it. No biggie to install it at all.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=629131

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
gmachinz
Account Suspended

The biggest deal is locating a decent tach cluster housing. I hate modifying a non-tach one for use with a factory tach-I would rather pay for an good housing and build up from there-but, I do prefer a stock appearance so it up to you-but if I were to go through the work of using aftermarket gauges, I would look at AutoMeters Nexus gauges-Ive used them in other builds and they are killer looking.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
jb3t

Thanks a lot. This is really helpful.

This is a tough one for me. I really could use a tach as I think I am revving and idling high. However, my truck is 100% original and, if necessary, I would like to have the option to go back to stock.

It looks like there's a bit if cutting involved with the GM Sports solution.

Last edited by jb3t; 12-08-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
jb3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUN GMC View Post
Before you do anything just check this video out(starts out weak but ends strong)........you can customize stock.....meaning you can match stock and upgrade at the same time.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0YgkIC6OVs

Wow... That dude knows his crap and the tach, speedo, and lights look awesome.

In a perfect world for me, I would like to move the gas gauge to the lower left (in empty spot) and put in a tach where the jumbo fuel gauge is, preserving the idiot light. Then, if I ever sold the rig to a purist, I could put it back to stock. That's in a perfect world but I don't think I have that option.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3t View Post
In a perfect world for me, I would like to move the gas gauge to the lower left (in empty spot) and put in a tach where the jumbo fuel gauge is, preserving the idiot light. Then, if I ever sold the rig to a purist, I could put it back to stock. That's in a perfect world but I don't think I have that option.
I changed idiot lights to stock tach/gauges.
I had to repin the plug,(or it would short out).
but not if you have gauges,your plug may even have a jumper for the fuel gauge.
I was lucky to find the correct style,so it looks stock.
but I would sooner tell someone i did the work,and keep the idiot cluster,but i doubt it would ever go back in.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
homemade87

I put the gmsports tach in a couple years ago. Has worked flawless . I had to put mine in a 91 cluster because I needed a electric speedo for my ls swap. I also need the 7000rpm so I could monitor my rpms up to 6200 . I did have to trim the lower idiot lights out to get it to fit. If you find a tach cluster housing you probable wont have to do any trimming but it was not a big deal. I also wanted to keep my lower left clock spot so the fuel gauge in the tach worked good for me . This was a win win for me.

Heres a thread if you have not found it already.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=gmsports+tach
Attached Images

homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
MalibuSSwagon

LMC now sells reproduction tachs.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
slotard

homemade87, I really like that gauge setup. I'll have to try to find one.
slotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #13
jb3t

Looks like...

The LM ones are here: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=127

The GM Sports ones are here: http://www.gmsports.com/content/new-...and-gmc-trucks

The LM ones appear to be close reproductions, going up to 5000 RPM. For this, it looks like I would save the idiot lights but have to get the small fuel gauge and put in the lower left empty spot (small gauges). Probably some repinning and cluster hacking needed.

While not true, the GM Sports version seems to be more plug-n-play with the drawback being you have to cut the cluster a bit to remove the idiot lights.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I think I am going to go with the GM Sports BUT.. Before I pull the trigger, I am going to look at the big tach, small fuel gauge combo from LM. Just not sure of the hacking and repinning needed.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #14
MalibuSSwagon

As I understand it, the LMC tach/fuel gauge are designed as an OEM replacement, meaning ideally you would use a tach cluster housing. Advantage is an OEM fit and finish.

GM Sports tach is meant as a retrofit for the millions of non-tach clusters out there. Advantage is that you don't need to source a tach housing. Disadvantage is the tach will not match your existing gauges.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
95 S_Trucker

FYI, the tach from GMSports has the 81-91 font, 73-80 will have different numbering
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #16
gmachinz
Account Suspended

If you just want an 80-81 style tach cluster, I still have 1 MINT assembly left. It has been completely refurbished and the oem GM tach has been calibrated and comes with paperwork to prove it. $400 plus the ride if interested-its a very nice assembly! PM me if interested. It was originally from an 81 crew cab dually.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:34 AM   #17
jb3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
FYI, the tach from GMSports has the 81-91 font, 73-80 will have different numbering
How different is the numbering? Night-and-day or slight?
Old 12-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #18
rich weyand

Quote:
It doesn't bother me. I like the bigger numbers on the tach, and leaving off the "5"s, because I think it's easier to read. Here's my 78.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #19
jb3t

Perfect.... Thanks.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #20
J Knight

Quote:
Gm sports salvage also makes the tach with the 73-80 font.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #21
gmachinz
Account Suspended

That's an awesome looking 73-80 tach! Looks like GM Sport salvage is beating LMC at their own gauge game. I've always thought the only possible reason LMC doesn't offer tach cluster housings is because everyone would order tach setups and they'd never sell their other stuff non-tach related.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #22
jb3t

Awesome J Knight. I am going for it. Greatly appreciated.

I see only one tach on their site. Did you call and state a year?

Last edited by jb3t; 12-18-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #23
rich weyand

Quote:
There ya go. Go back to my first email in this thread and take the link to my how-to. It includes how to retain your brake warning light.

And if you have any issues with doing the install, post a thread or PM me.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #24
J Knight

Quote:

I see only one tach on their site. Did you call and state a year?

That tach I posted isn't mine but I know he got it from gmsports. I would assume you need to call or e-mail them.