The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
bsampson

4" rear drop - standard or super tracking bar?

I'm converting a leaf spring to coil spring rear suspension on a '72. For a 4" rear coil spring drop, should I go with a standard or "super" tracking bar (the type that mounts below to passenger side trailing arm). I have a rear end with the mount for the standard bar, so that is not an issue.

Looking a ECE's stuff, I can get a standard adjustable bar for $60, or the super bar for $130 (includes U-Bolts - $40 value that I do need), making it a real difference of $30.

This will just be a weekend cruiser, but I don't mind spending $30 extra if it really is better.

Thoughts?
bsampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: 4" rear drop - standard or super tracking bar?

do you have the mount that rivits to the frame too? if not you might want to look at pb`s set up.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsampson View Post
I'm converting a leaf spring to coil spring rear suspension on a '72. For a 4" rear coil spring drop, should I go with a standard or "super" tracking bar (the type that mounts below to passenger side trailing arm). I have a rear end with the mount for the standard bar, so that is not an issue.

Looking a ECE's stuff, I can get a standard adjustable bar for $60, or the super bar for $130 (includes U-Bolts - $40 value that I do need), making it a real difference of $30.

This will just be a weekend cruiser, but I don't mind spending $30 extra if it really is better.

Thoughts?
For the $30 difference, go w/the longer bar. Longer bar = less side shift during suspension travel.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
bsampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
do you have the mount that rivits to the frame too? if not you might want to look at pb`s set up.
I do have that mount. I've collected most of the parts for the conversion already (3/4 ton trailing arms, trailing arm crossmember, shock relocators, rear crossmember, and the panhard/tracking bar mount).
Old 12-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
bsampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
For the $30 difference, go w/the longer bar. Longer bar = less side shift during suspension travel.
That was my plan, but I noticed that CPP doesn't recommend the longer bar unless the drop is >= 4". As you say though, for $30...