The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
sgr60

Installing new steering linkage.

Started on a little project this evening - I got my new Moog tie rod ends in today, so I started to pull the old stuff to get ready for the install tomorrow. I bought 4 new ends, a new adjusting sleeve as well as a new steering stabilizer.

I started off by pulling the pitman arm to steering arm tie rod. These came off pretty easily, but pulling the first end with the puller was a little shocking - it came off with a real loud BANG! After that one, I was ready with a towel wrapped around the others. I can't remember the last time I did tie rod ends, I don't remember that force on it. Oh well...

Old and new:

Next, I went after the outers. These were a little harder to get off - the castle nuts were pretty well frozen, and I couldn't get the cotter pins out - they kept breaking. No problem though - just apply some heat from the trusty torch and off they came. If the other ends were bad, these were horrible - completely shot. The steering stabilizer was doing nothing either - the piston juts slid freely in the tube - no compression whatsoever.

Getting the ends off the crosslink bar was a whole other ordeal. Those things were completely frozen on there. I was able to get them off with a LOT of heat, penetrating oil, a big wrench, a mallet and the bench vice.

Old outer parts removed:

Since I will be reusing the cross link bar, it needed to be cleaned up before re-installation. I cleaned all the grease and grime off then sanded and painted it.

My impromptu paint station:

While the paint was drying and I had the truck up on stands, I decided it would be a good time to tackle the huge amount of grease and grime buildup under the front end (particularly on the drivers side as the PS gear had been leaking for evidently a LONG time). I had tried attacking it with degreaser and a pressure washer - didn't make a dent.

So I went at it scraping away all the filth - it was everywhere - core support, front cross-member, frame rail, leaf springs, axle and differential, etc...

Here's some of what came off - horrible -

After a round of scraping I sprayed on some degreaser and let it soak in. Then I went at it with a bucket of warm soapy water and a scrub brush. What a mess. But, it really helped. I'm going to go at it again tomorrow - should come out a lot better.

Will also get the new parts all installed tomorrow after the paint dries tonight. Looking forward to a nice solid steering system!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:22 AM   #2
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Installing new steering linkage.

looking good, keep the pictures coming, love to see projects like this, and you may want to try Mineral Spirits as your cleaner (Home Depot, $5 bucks), I just started using it and it is the best degreaser I have found in 20 years of trying everything from Simple Green to Purple Power to Dish Soap

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
sgr60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
looking good, keep the pictures coming, love to see projects like this, and you may want to try Mineral Spirits as your cleaner (Home Depot, $5 bucks), I just started using it and it is the best degreaser I have found in 20 years of trying everything from Simple Green to Purple Power to Dish Soap
Awesome - thanks for the tip. Will definitely give it a shot. I've been using simple green, but don't really feel like it's been doing the job. If you found something that works, I'll try it!
Old 12-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #4
sgr60

Well, got all the new steering parts bolted up today. The linkage and the new stabilizer are all in!

Got a bit of a start on my new fans as well. Started with some test fitting and got the brackets measured. Will get going in full force tomorrow.