The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
mcfarlnd

Vic jr. EFI 4150 flange to 3 bolt DBW (pics inside)

I haven't been successful in finding a adapter for a 4150 flange to the stock 3 bolt TB. You can find elbows but those take away from the nostalgic look of an old truck and that's not the look I want. Also, if you have a cable throttle, you can get accufab Tb to achieve the look but leaving the DBW guys left out. I want to be able to retain a semi stock look and an older air cleaner. I know i will have to modify the bottom of the air cleaner assy to accommodate for the smaller hole and DBW motor but, nothing some steel and a welder can't handle.

The problem

the solution

Top pic

Top pic resting on the intake

Bottom pic bolted to the throttle body

All resting together

Posted via Mobile Device
mcfarlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
mooseknuckles

Re: Vic jr. EFI 4150 flange to 3 bolt DBW (pics inside)

nice!
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
72gmcshorty

sorry for the stupid question but what is this for?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
mooseknuckles

ls motor
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

its for running an aftermarket intake manifold in place of the plastic manifolds on stock genIII/IV engines.

Cool peice, but I love the look of the tb elbows....especially with boost pipe feeding them.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
68Stepbed

That's usin' the old noggin!!

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Shon

I like it!! would be interested in seeing this in action b/c this might solve alot of the hood clearance issues with an F-body.

The Elbows are great for boosted apps but for N/A purpose the elbow kills power.

What will you do for a filter? got any pix on that idea?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

It would allow you to run a pretty cool "stack" filter straight off the top, or make another merge for on top and use 2 of these for a "carbed" look

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
It would allow you to run a pretty cool "stack" filter straight off the top, or make another merge for on top and use 2 of these for a "carbed" look

Find a dual-quad LS intake and run two TB's, that would very different.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Are you planning on running a stock ECM and harness? This is cool
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Interesting approach....looks great! you'll still have the injectors and fuel rails showing tho....correct?

I've thought a lot about this subject......and figured the best way to hide under an old style air cleaner would be a 4bbl throttle body w/injectors built into it. Like the old TB injection and/or the FAST ez-efi or new MSD atomic efi. That way air+fuel enters intake together w/o fuel rails.

They make those valve/coil covers which I'm sure some folks like...I'm just not a fan.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
Roz

Reviving an old thread here. . .

Did the original poster get anywhere with this? I'm swapping a DBW LQ4 into my truck this fall and would love to ditch the hideous truck intake and keep a somewhat "nostalgic" look under the hood.
Roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #13
mcfarlnd

Lol! I forgot I posted this. I am having it re done now with a provision for the stock throttle body gasket machined in, didn't think about it until after it was made. There also wasn't enough material for the hole for the evap port/solenoid. I'm obviously not using the evap but it left no room for a gasket and there would have been a constant intake leak. I have made my adapter for the air cleaner though.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #14
mcfarlnd

Only letting me use one picture at a time
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #15
mcfarlnd

And another
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #16
NEWFISHER

Are you hiding the mass air in the air cleaner?
Old 09-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
Roz

Thanks for the update!

So you're having to machine the plate to accommodate the TB gasket? Wouldn't the tension of tightening the bolts make the seal? I'm not following 100% why you're having to do that. How thick is your adapter plate? Does it allow for enough clearance for the fuel rails once the air cleaner is put on top?

I also don't follow how the air cleaner ultimately attaches to the throttle body. Id it just resting on there?

NEWFISHER, I'm assuming he omitted the MAF and converted to a speed density tune with a MAP sensor.

Last edited by Roz; 09-12-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
Roz

. . . And last, but not least. What are the chances of having another one made once you've worked out all the bugs?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #19
mcfarlnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
Thanks for the update!

So you're having to machine the plate to accommodate the TB gasket? Wouldn't the tension of tightening the bolts make the seal? I'm not following 100% why you're having to do that. How thick is your adapter plate? Does it allow for enough clearance for the fuel rails once the air cleaner is put on top?

I also don't follow how the air cleaner ultimately attaches to the throttle body. Id it just resting on there?

NEWFISHER, I'm assuming he omitted the MAF and converted to a speed density tune with a MAP sensor.
Originally on the LS motors, there is an o-ring boss on the intake to seal the throttle body to it. Tightening the throttle body directly to the machined plate without it IMO would cause a leak and would create corrosion with the metal on metal. I suppose I could have "made" a gasket work but, I needed it redone anyway for the evap hole problem stated in my earlier post. There is plenty of room for the fuel rails. The edelbrock intakes sit relatively high in relation to the rails. My rails are also a little closer to the heads because I used the shorter E85 truck injectors. The air cleaner adapter is clamped on to the throttle body with one of those rubber intake connectors that you see for connecting intake piping on turbo builds (not in the pic, have to get one). The air cleaner then sits over the top and screws on like a normal air cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Are you hiding the mass air in the air cleaner?
Roz is right. No mass air. I am tuning in OLSD. However, modifications could be made to make it work with it. I'm sure, you would need a deeper air cleaner though to recess it to keep the air cleaner from sitting too high off the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
. . . And last, but not least. What are the chances of having another one made once you've worked out all the bugs?
I'm trying to get him to give me the program for it. You would just need a machine shop to plug it in and run it. And yes, I would be willing to share it with you and anyone else as long as it is for personal use. I'm not making any money and I don't want anyone else to make money off of it. That being said, I may try to have it copyrighted to keep it free and post it here along with LS1 Tech. Any lawyers here that could advise me? Lol.
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #20
Super73

FYI.. There are now 4150 DBW options out there. Look at this thread and scroll down a little.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...-intake-2.html
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #21
Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarlnd View Post
Originally on the LS motors, there is an o-ring boss on the intake to seal the throttle body to it. Tightening the throttle body directly to the machined plate without it IMO would cause a leak and would create corrosion with the metal on metal. I suppose I could have "made" a gasket work but, I needed it redone anyway for the evap hole problem stated in my earlier post. There is plenty of room for the fuel rails. The edelbrock intakes sit relatively high in relation to the rails. My rails are also a little closer to the heads because I used the shorter E85 truck injectors. The air cleaner adapter is clamped on to the throttle body with one of those rubber intake connectors that you see for connecting intake piping on turbo builds (not in the pic, have to get one). The air cleaner then sits over the top and screws on like a normal air cleaner.
Ah yes! I was thinking the gasket stayed on the TB, but it is indeed recessed into the intake. Instead of machining the adapter to accommodate the gasket, couldnt you use a thin piece of something that is cut in the shape of the TB to create the seal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarlnd View Post
I'm trying to get him to give me the program for it. You would just need a machine shop to plug it in and run it. And yes, I would be willing to share it with you and anyone else as long as it is for personal use. I'm not making any money and I don't want anyone else to make money off of it. That being said, I may try to have it copyrighted to keep it free and post it here along with LS1 Tech. Any lawyers here that could advise me? Lol.
Man, that would be great. I'd be willing to pay you or whomever for the product itself just so this doesn't even become an issue!
Old 09-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #22
Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
FYI.. There are now 4150 DBW options out there. Look at this thread and scroll down a little.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...-intake-2.html
I've thought about duplicating something like that . . . It's a bit outside of my budget for now. That Accufab 4150 throttle body is a NICE piece.

Last edited by Roz; 09-12-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #23
yossarian19

Any chance of a few more pics or some back-channel conversation about how you adapted the air cleaner onto the TB? I see the pics but don't really understand what I'm seeing / how it seals to the TB.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #24
mcfarlnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
Any chance of a few more pics or some back-channel conversation about how you adapted the air cleaner onto the TB? I see the pics but don't really understand what I'm seeing / how it seals to the TB.
Okay so, in order to attach the air cleaner to the throttle body I made an adapter as shown in the pics. It is made of 18ga steel. I first rolled a piece that was approximately 3 1/2 inches tall and long enough to wrap around the throttle body tightly, welded it together. For the top I used 18ga again and cut the center out of it, the diameter of the throttle body. The outside of it was cut large enough for the air cleaner to sit on it and seal. I welded that to the rolled piece. I then bent a 1 1/2 wide by 3 1/2 strip to 90 degrees and welded it to the top of the top piece to hold the all thread rod for the air cleaner lid. To attach the air cleaner adapter to the throttle body, I used a 3" diameter rubber PVC tubing connector (from Home Depot) to mount it to the throttle body. One side note is, I had to heat up the PVC rubber connector in order for it to stretch over the throttle body and adapter, I tried using a 4" first and it was way too big.