The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2014, 02:30 AM   #1
NoClassic

Trouble Matching 1958 Glade Green (WE5689)

Has anyone else had an issue when trying to have paint shops accurately reproduce this color?

The truck is a "58 and the chassis plate shows 705A as the paint code. The guys at the paint shop say that number come back as Woodland Green (WE5101). I had some of this mixed and it has far less blue than the existing paint on the truck. (I am using the the upper firewall as a reference. It was protected from the elements and is in near new condition with the factory grease pencil marks still showing)

I have now come to think that the truck is not Woodland, but Glade Green (WE5689). I talked to the paint shop about this and according to their references Woodland and Glade show to be the same mix. I have found a member post here who also indicated this, but I honestly do not believe it.

Any insight you guys may have would be great.
NoClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Trouble Matching 1958 Glade Green (WE5689)

find a paint company that has a spectrophotometer. its the only way you'll color match 50 year old paint even if it looks like new its faded and oxidized.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
NoClassic

I can accept that there are changes in color with time, exposed to light or not, but the mix I am getting is not even close to what is there.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Highsider

Dave is right (again )

After a lot of searching, I found the color I wanted on a WalMart paint chip and the paint salesman nailed it for the shop.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Russell Ashley

My son owns a body shop in Savannah, Ga and I'm not sure that he goes by paint codes much any more. He has the paint store come and "shoot" the paint he is matching and they mix it. His paint matching is usually right on.

If the truck is drivable I would find an auto paint store and have them match the paint from a spot where it is the color you want.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
1project2many

The spectrophotometer is the fastest way. It was not available to me when I was looking to match my original paint.

I sat down with paint chip books and a spot that was found after cleaning undercoating overspray under the hood (how's that for a word jumble). I matched chips. And I matched. And matched more. That was under fluorescent lights so I changed lighting and matched and narrowed again. And again. Over and over. I'd walk away when my eyes got tired and wait a few days to return. Cloudy days, sunny days, streetlights, mercury vapor, as many different lights as I could. Eventually I only had one choice.

Most folks don't want to do that much work but paint was years in the future so I had time.
1project2many is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
NoClassic

There was a small area on the tailgate with good paint. I took it by the shop today and they are doing a new mix. Thanks for the replys.