The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
Cam-Shaft

Newbie Paint Suggestions - '69 C20

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to come up with a preliminary paint scheme for my truck. I have never painted a vehicle before however I do have access to someone who has and is quite refined. The truck itself is a bit rough and will have some patches here and there. Here's what I am thinking so far in the realm of simplicity and good looks

Flat or eggshell black. It seems like this covers a multitude of sins I'm sure it would cover whatever blemishes the truck has when I am done fixing it up.

The plan is to paint it black and then have the accent color be blaze green (kawasaki ninja bike). The plastic dip is pretty cheap and supposedly sticks quite well to flat colors. I would paint the wheels and whatever other accent areas (inset "Chevrolet" letters on tailgate, etc). under the hood would also rock green valve covers, air filter, plug wires, etc.

So the question... Would this look halfway decent (maybe cool? ) or will it look completely ugly and out of place. Keep in mind that I am 17 and will not be having a pro job done as this is a learning experience for me and I'd rather it be something I did myself. Also the truck will be lifted slightly and I am trying to bring out the mean, beast chevy side vs the classic beauty.

To quote a famous line, what say ye? I can take the critique
Cam-Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Newbie Paint Suggestions - '69 C20

Since you asked and since you can take it(!) I think it would look quite not so good. However... I have to say I admire what you're doing - spending time at 17 doing it YOURSELF is huge. That is the hardest paint job you'll ever do and you'll get better every time. And you'll learn a ton.

Now - to the point - what "I" think doesn't really matter. If you want an eggshell black with blaze green truck - then that is exactly what you should do! No ifs, ands, or buts.

On the other hand - IF you're choosing eggshell black to cover bodywork sins, then I think you should give yourself a little more credit, take your time on the bodywork (and if it's your driver, well, I understand that dilemma all too well). Then, paint it the color you REALLY want. And if that is black and green - go for it! If it is red and white, GO FOR IT!

Welcome to the site - don't think we've met before. So glad you're tackling this stuff and learning yourself. Congrats and I can't wait to see the finished product, no matter how it turns out. And, trust me, I don't think I'd ever want to show anyone my first paint job... Oh my. Fisheye and orange peel heaven. Looked like a turd. But I learned. And my paint still turns out about the same

Good luck and keep us posted.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #3
Cam-Shaft

Re: Newbie Paint Suggestions - '69 C20

Thanks jocko!!! I appreciate the encouragement! I will keep you all informed on what I decide
Cam-Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote