The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2004, 01:54 AM   #1
avejoe
Custer had a plan too.

Quality of Patch Panels

I spent today driving four hours to pull a 70 cab. Other than some minor rust in the passenger rocker and kick panel, the cab is near perfect. I'm now getting ready to repair before I paint the cab.

Are there any differences in the quality of patch panels out there (rockers, corners, etc)? Is it worth getting GM rockers?

Any recommendations on vendors?

Thanks!
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
Huck

I have installed replacement aftermarket rockers from 3 different vendors and in every case, they are about 1/4 to 1/3" too short front to rear and leave a gap that needs working. Recently did cab corners and had 3 different sets of corners ---similar result. This is not an indicator about the vendors but the quality of aftermarket patch panels. I'm sure a professional body guy would not have a problem working them but I sure did.
Rockers are easily solved but the cab corners were real frustrating to try to get a decent fit. Keep in mind that you don't really want to change more then you need to when it comes to patch panels. I tended to do a complete panel when in fact I could have just done the face area of the rockers and saved a lot of work. If you have extensive rust, plan on finding ugly stuff behind the surface---ie. you pull the outer rocker and find the inner bad or you find that someone has already replaced a cab support and the old rusted one is crushed inside the replaced one!!
I would buy the "how to" instructional set from efabman "board member" before I would start another body repair project. It would be well worth the $$ spent as he knows his sh@#!
Good luck---Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
ZOOMY

panels

IMO, tri-plus fit the best....ZZ
ZOOMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
avejoe
Custer had a plan too.

Patch Panels

Who sells these?
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:26 PM   #5
pickupman

I agree with Zoomy. I have had the best fit out of the Tri-plus Brand. Most of the board venders carry this brand I Believe. I carry the Triplus brand myself. Just let me know if I can help.
Thanks Bill
Athey's Classic Truck Parts

67 1/2 ton 4wd custom cab
72 1/2 ton 4wd super cheyenne
71 1/2 BB super cheyenne shortbed
pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote