The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
bagolfpro73

Chassis Help

I have a 64 chevy long bed. I am wondering if I can mount the cab, front end and a short bed on a 1986 chevy c10 chasis? Can anyone help me with this question.

Thanks
bagolfpro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Chassis Help

This question gets asked a lot. I will answer as I always do. Don't do it. Just use your original frame and transfer everything you want from the '86 C10. What is wrong with your '64 frame?

With that said, yes you can mount your '64 body onto the '86 C10 as long as you have the skills for fabricating all the new body mounts and you don't mind having a truck with a 3" body lift.

Yes I have been there done that. Do a search for a thread titled '60-66 body on a '73-'87 frame' There are also many many other threads on this same subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagolfpro73 View Post
I have a 64 chevy long bed. I am wondering if I can mount the cab, front end and a short bed on a 1986 chevy c10 chasis? Can anyone help me with this question.

Thanks
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
bagolfpro73

Thanks for you reply. New at this resto stuff. Always wanted a 60's truck but couldn't get a SB so I got a LB instead. Nothing is wrong with my 64 frame it's a long bed and the 86 c10 frame is a short bed. I don't want the 3inch lift that you are talking about. I want it low but not low enough to bag it. Can I use a chassis from the early 70's? Don't know how to do fab work.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:34 AM   #4
padresag

as the Capt said.
the 73-87 s/b chassis is still not the right w/base for a short bed
the 71-72 frames also need some modifications and there are the registration thing that you have to do when you change frames
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
bagolfpro73

Thanks for all the helpful info. Good to know that it is not as easy especially for a newbie.

BA
Old 12-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
scottofksu

If I remember correctly, there are a number of posts where builders have converted long bed frames to short bed frames fairly easily... Might be an option for you!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Vinceg

I was going to try a 66 body swap onto a newer truck frame(88). Once I had it all stripped down. I set the cab on the frame and started looking at the amount of work that would need to be done to the bottom of the cab to make it sit right. That and the fact that i would still need to shorten the frame scared the crap outta me. I chickened out! Lol! Then I was going to swap onto a 72 frame that I got a really good deal on. In the end I ended up swapping the front crossmember and diff onto my 66 frame. Soooooo much easier the body bolts right back on and you don't need to fab anything or screw with relocating mounts! I wish I'd have started out that direction from the start! If I'd known about this web site it would have saved me a ton of screwing around! Some solid advice on here. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
lowlife4life

if you have access to a welder or even if you have to hire someone it is a pretty simple process to shorten the frame to a swb. search on here there is really good detailed examples. it isn't worth putting it on another frame. also you have to put pics up for everyones enjoyment
lowlife4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:11 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Your '64 long wheelbase frame can be shortened much easier than that frame swap. If you aren't a very good welder, welding a frame is something best left to a professional. You really don't want that coming apart at 70 mph.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:17 AM   #10
lowlife4life

Didn't realize you are in red deer. I'm a ticketed welder so if your stuck without a welder we could probably work out a date when I'm in the area or if your looking for a swb i can keep my eye out. Im in grande prairie and travel to high river all the time
lowlife4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
Vinceg

Thanks for the offer. I have a little 110 wire feed with a gas shield that is working very well for me right now (Body stuff). Let's just say the problem is more me than the machine. Lol. The big stuff scares me a little. If your ever in this neck of the woods and want to kick tires and BS let me know. I'm a shift worker so some days are good and some days are .... Well you know.
Vinceg is offline   Reply With Quote