The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
msg

Is there a patch panel tall enough for this bed front?

I have been trying to take out a dent in my 66 fleetside bed and I stopped due to part frustration and part reality on how much damage and rust happened in the accident. What I am looking for and not finding is a top to bottom patch panel for the passenger side front bed. Most of the ones Ive seen are about 10 inches tall from the base.

I am about to break down the truck and have all of the body and frame sandblasted and start learning how to get this truck back in shape. I was planning to order panels once I got it back from the blasters once I find out just how bad things are all over.

Here is a thread of me trying to make repairs to the bed before I stopped and decided to have it blasted.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=635143
msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Is there a patch panel tall enough for this bed front?

how about this?

http://www.classicparts.com/1960-66-...4/#.VKLM5F4Aa0

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
msg

Bless you Clyde!

The portion of the top of the bed also has some rust eaten through as well, is there a patch panel for that too? Right where it connects to that panel at the seam at the top?
Old 12-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I don't think there is a repair panel for the top portion.
the top portion, is a thicker gauge metal than the lower, so it might be easier to weld in a patch for the rust repair.

the top portion is thicker and at the seam has two 90 degree bends and then continues down as the inner bed panel, the lower piece ( the patch panel that you are looking at ) is spot welded to that.

you can use your pin pull gun for shrinking: leave the pin out, you have to have bare metal, press the gun on the metal and heat it for a second, it will leave a little heated circle. you can run some shrinks down an area to tighten it up. if the metal is too thin, or you hold the gun on too long it will blow a little hole though.

if you had an extra door you could also use the door skin as a patch for that area.

what you might do for that seam that is rusted is cut out a cross section, and then go to a sheet metal shop and have them bend you a simple patch for that area... from the photo it looks like you might need a piece that goes from the front of the bed all the way to the rear wheel.

here is a piece of upper drip rail and cab I had made - a lot more intricate than that bed area, it cost $30
Attached Images

Last edited by jonzcustomshop; 12-30-2014 at 02:00 PM.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
msg

Thanks for that, pics are a plus!
Ill see just how bad things are after blasting and probably need a machine shop for help with stuff like that.