The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
bowt1ed

Cab Rust Encapsulator/Preventative

Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas, and got all the truck parts or tools they wished for! I certainly enjoyed seeing my 18 month old grandson jump on the Bass Pro mini quad runner Santa brought him and tearing through the house at 1 mph!

Anyway - we all know there wasn't much preservation applied when the individual body panels came together on our old trucks back in the day. Has anyone had good (actually, great) experience with any of the products out there for treating those hard to reach spots in the cab panels (such as Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating, etc.)? I just had my cab blasted and powder-coated primer, and as I replace some of the cancerous panels I would like to shoot something into the voids, etc. that won't be removed, but may be accessible. Any recommendations?

Thanks much, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Northern lights

Re: Cab Rust Encapsulator/Preventative

http://www.rustbullet.com/
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
thumper56

I take note and will check out the Rust Bullet website, but wanted to let you know that I have used the Eastwood internal frame and find it a great product.

When I bought my '56, the exterior of the A pillars were completely rotted off- someone decided to shoot a bunch of urethane foam into them for some reason. After many hours of bending/ shrinking and welding to fabricate repairs, I wanted to protect the inside.

Shot the Eastwood product by sticking it's wand down through the headliner/roof gap, and up from the kick panel area. 2 years later a friend loaned me his fiber-optic scope, so I took a peek as my headliner is still not in- not a bit of rust and a nice olive green coat throughout.

Word of caution- be careful with the wand as it is very easy to get the material in unintended spots- it DOES NOT COME OFF without serious (sanding) measures. I found no solvent to take it off!

Another nice product is "Fluid Film". This is a eco friendly lanolin based product that has been used for years as a rust preventative on sanders, fertilizers, and industrial equipment- quickly replacing oil undercoating and 3M "Shutz" here in the Northeast. Comes in gallons and also spray cans with the wand type applicator for inner doors, etc.

Good luck and have a great 2015!
thumper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
bowt1ed

Thanks guys. Great testimonial on Eastwood's product - good to hear. I will also check out the other products mentioned. Cheers, Jim
Old 12-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
b-mac

I'm glad to hear the guys above had success with Eastwood products. I actually plan on preping my whole interior with a series of Eastwood products: Converter, then Encapuslator, and then filler primer and paint. Especially for spots like under the dash.
The guys on this forum actually somewhat talked me out of sandblasting for fear of media being trapped in places I can't see (such as the a-pillars,) which would trap moisture and create rust. Hope you don't have this problem bowt1ed, and I wish you luck with the Eastwood products, and the project in general.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
bowt1ed

Thanks b-mac. I actually did have mine sandblasted and followed up with powder priming. I'm fairly confident that we got most all the granules/debris out, but going to open up a couple of places to replace rusted panels (like A pillars) anyway. In my case, I knew I had a couple of cancerous areas, but didn't know what I didn't know about the rest. Looks like I'll also be opening the windshield eyebrow just above the lip to replace a small section, so that's one of the places I'll shoot the internal coating.

Cheers, Jim