The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2004, 05:51 PM   #1
SCOTI

Drop spindle question

Hey guys.... I typically work w/67 & later model trucks so I'm well versed on drop spindle/disc brake swaps for these years but I've got a neighbor w/a 66 1/2 ton that wants a low-budget, good-riding drop of 3-4".

I immediately recommended drop spindles & explained all the benefits but then he threw me a wrench.... he doesn't want to swap to discs, he want's to keep it simple. I thought I read about someone making spindles that allowed retention of the factory drum brakes but I'm not having much luck finding the info.

Personally, all my stuff I just swapped to discs & never looked back so this is new ground. I'm swapping his rear coils for a pair of manually filled bags & will either shorten his panhard bar or he'll get an adjustable one. The front I was thinking spindles & trimming his coils if needed. Simple enough.

So does anyone know if such a spindle exists or do they all require a mandatory swap to discs?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
zenish

ive never seen drum type drop spindles.id cut a coil or coil and a half from the spring.i did that on my truck,but didn't like the a-arm angles.so i got disc brake drop spindles.you might try asking on www.chevytalk.com
zenish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
PJ_STYLES
Rockers1/2"off the ground

I don't think they make just drop spindles for drum brakes. I wish they did i want a pair too!!!!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:16 PM   #4
Don T.
Procrastinator Supreme

I don't know about the traffic where you live, but I won't risk driving my 66 any faster than 45 MPH with my factory brakes (power drums) because of the spazzes that I have to be constantly watching out for! These idiots will pull out 300 feet in front of a loaded semi traveling 55 MPH and expect him not to plow them down; I figure they must have slept throught their physics classes in school. If they'll do something so stupid to a large, heavy, fast-traveling vehicle I figure they're even more likely to try & take me out in that old pickup truck. After all, it's "so old" that it can't be traveling very fast!

The swap is so straight forward and much safer than the best stock brakes had to offer that I can't see not doing it unless he's wanting a resto (which doesn't jibe with the drop)... safety first or bodywork (or worse!) later!

`66 GMC SWB SS - 327 & TH350, factory PS & PB, current project truck

`01 Jeep XJ - Solar Yellow 2D w/6" lift, 33s and 4.56 posi
`04 Scorpa SY250 - my newest off-road vehicle!
Other asst. yard ornaments... inquire within
Don T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:17 PM   #5
SCOTI

He just doesn't want to get into replacing a bunch of stuff. He's happy w/his current brake set-up so who am I to argue. My personal preference is just switch to discs.

I guess he doesn't want to pay for a new mstr cyl, brake lines, pads, & either extra for the 6lug rotors or have to do more work to get the bolt patterns to match. You have to admit it's easy for things to snowball when doing upgrades.

I guess I'll give Bill Turner a call about his modified a-arms instead.
Thanks guys......... Scot
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote