The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
82 chev

camaro subframe

I am going to install a camaro subframe onto my 82 chevy shortbox. I can't be the first so does anyone have any advise (or pics) before I begin?
82 chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
tinydb84

Re: camaro subframe

Why? The suspension is not that bad and can be made better with some simple mods.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
bnoon

There have been a few show up in magazines over the years, but I've yet to see one get done by the average Joe and/or documented on the internet specifically for the squares. Seen a few 67-72's, but none in a square. I'd almost try to attach a 3rd gen bolt in aftermarket subframe to the stock frame rails, but I've done no measuring to even know if it's close or not...
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Sounds like a lot of work when there are so many aftermarket suspension parts for the trucks already; that are bolt on.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
trixter99
I have no time for this

This is a waste of time there are lots of vendors to upgrade your truck with. But if you want a challenge then by all means go ahead knock your self out.
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
Just call me Sean

So much negativity. Maybe he happens to have a parts Camaro.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #7
mikentosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82 chev View Post
I am going to install a camaro subframe onto my 82 chevy shortbox. I can't be the first so does anyone have any advise (or pics) before I begin?
Doing a subframe swap was the original plan for my project but I went in a different direction. I'm really interested to see some pics if you decide to move forward on it!
mikentosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:33 AM   #8
tinydb84

Here you go:

http://c10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17672

I would still just make a few changes to the stock set up (move lower ball joint, taller upper ball joint, upgrade steering box or rack and pinion).
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
82 chev

Well currantly my truck has been lowered 4" in the front (3" drop spindles and added 1" to lower spring pockets) and 7" out back (bought new spring saddles and made or modified the rest). This leaves approx 3" of travel before the tires contact the inner fenders. So the plan is to mock everything up and then install an 8.8 I.R.S. out back and install the camaro clip with stock height spindles up front, hoping to gain ground clearance at the front crossmember and/or lower control arm mount points. I hate seeing these from the front of the truck. I feel this will give me ample choices for brakes springs sway bars etc. I will take pics along the way if anyone is inerseted.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
dv8customs

What is your goal here? If you keep the same ride height you will still only have 3" of travel before the tires contact the fenders. If your concern is ground clearance on the bottom side you could section your cross member 1". You could also go with a porterbuilt coil over setup and gain clearance.
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
82 chev

My goal is to lower the truck 1" more. I know I could "Z" the frame but that has its own set of problems, I already have the subframe, I'll gain ground clearance, parts access and I like the work/challenge. To me a project is more than just bolting on parts. I'll always choose to build/fabricate something over buying parts. I guess I like the Custom part building something different or unique. I'll post a few picture soon.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #12
made2drag

Quote:
My goal is to lower the truck 1" more. I know I could "Z" the frame but that has its own set of problems, I already have the subframe, I'll gain ground clearance, parts access and I like the work/challenge. To me a project is more than just bolting on parts. I'll always choose to build/fabricate something over buying parts. I guess I like the Custom part building something different or unique. I'll post a few picture soon.
I like the drive and the willing to think outside the box. with the frame width being like 34 inches on the c10 i think it may be a huge project for a gain of 1 inch. keep in mind here that the guys on here are trying to help. we see it all the time....a guy jumps into a big undertaking and the project stops due to roadblocks like time or money and then the project sits and then gets sold.

On the other hand...if you can make it happen and acheive what you are after...we'd like to see pics
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
made2drag

Quote:
Well currantly my truck has been lowered 4" in the front (3" drop spindles and added 1" to lower spring pockets) and 7" out back (bought new spring saddles and made or modified the rest). This leaves approx 3" of travel before the tires contact the inner fenders. So the plan is to mock everything up and then install an 8.8 I.R.S. out back and install the camaro clip with stock height spindles up front, hoping to gain ground clearance at the front crossmember and/or lower control arm mount points. I hate seeing these from the front of the truck. I feel this will give me ample choices for brakes springs sway bars etc. I will take pics along the way if anyone is inerseted.
adding to the lower spring pockets is a cool idea and ive often wondered if anyone did it...just bag the front and be done...bolt in bag cups on bottom and plates up top are like 40 bucks and bags can be had for 100...wont help with the look under the truck though
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #14
slotard

For the rear end do you plan on swapping in Exploder rear suspension or what?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #15
82 chev

I'll be using a independant rear suspension from a 1990 thunderbird super coupe.
I know that a kit is available and as is will lower the truck approx 5" from stock. I'm already down 7" but will be adding 1 more inch to achieve 8" even if I have to raise the bed floor.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:46 PM   #16
reaper71

Just my 2 cents worth...
I used a 73 camaro stub on my 52 A.D. truck ( I know.. way diff year) but for reference speaking. I did Z it 4" and using stock spindles and QA1 coilovers. This will give me all the travel I want/need and by Z'ing the frame as I want it will sit nice and low...
check out my build I have posted pics on this at the early stages..
hope this helps..

Mark...
reaper71 is offline   Reply With Quote