The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
davepl

Big Block Short Bed Hugger Orange on eBay

Not mine, just came up on my wishlist:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191456927004...:SS:SS:US:3160

Like most eBay trucks, it is completely stock and showroom condition completely with the rare rally wheels, headers, and so on.

The SPID looks right, but who knows what's actually in the truck.

- Dave
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #2

Re: Big Block Short Bed Hugger Orange on eBay

Lots of little things wrong, been lowered, headers, rally wheels, they surely didn't come with a numbers matching 68 camaro 375 HP 396. But appears the spid is 100% correct for a CST short fleet 400 truck
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
thepenguin99

Not 100% original but a very cool truck. I like the lowered, rally wheels, and hopped up but almost stock looking motor. I am kinda surprised the stock alternator placement and AC compressor weren't retained though. Would have completed the engine compartment in my mind.
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:46 AM   #4
kwmech

There is more amis. Looking at the engine compartment from the left side, the AC condenser is missing along with the holes that feed the tubes into the engine compartment under the batt tray. AND if it is a 'factory 400' truck why the later pulleys and brackets moving everything around. Looks like the alternator just about rubs on the shroud
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:52 AM   #5
leddzepp

Beautiful truck. I hope he gets a fortune for it.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:25 AM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Looks like a nice clean truck that many of us would be happy to own. I'm curious about the engine though. When I bought my new '69 El Camino, the 396/375HP engine came with chrome valve covers, an open air cleaner, and an aluminum high-rise intake. His looks like it might be the more common 396/325HP version. Could have upgraded internals, but without the proper intake....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #7
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
There is more amis. Looking at the engine compartment from the left side, the AC condenser is missing along with the holes that feed the tubes into the engine compartment under the batt tray. AND if it is a 'factory 400' truck why the later pulleys and brackets moving everything around. Looks like the alternator just about rubs on the shroud
Probably missing the original engine when he got it or something along those lines. The spid confirms it as a bb/sb/cst. Would love to have this truck but I would need more garage space. My "patina" truck happily sits out in the elements without complaint. Couldn't do that with this one =).
Old 12-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
cericd

A couple things I noticed. The original paint code on the SPID is 514 which would be solid light red (no white). Also, if the truck would have had white it wouldn't have been down the side between the upper and lower trim. It would have looked like the one on the cover of the brochure seen in a couple of the auction pics. Also, shouldn't the upper trim have a notch where it meets the circular door lock? Lot's of other stuff, steering wheel color, seat covers, etc. And what's with all the trash in the paint on the inside of the glove box door? It makes me wonder it that continues on throughout the interior.

Not meaning to harp on these things but the ad says things like:

"in original condition when it rolled off the show room floor "
"Has been repaint one time on the outside back to stock with factory Gm red and white."
"all GM NOS parts installed back on this truck"
"This is a clean show truck"

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
Lees68GMC

YES were all focused on the pictures and vehicle description, I was too when I had the winning bid on a beautiful Pewter Silver 2001 Firebird Formula on E-bay. Excited I sent the $500.00 deposit got a FedEx overnight letter in return with auto contract paperwork for $4500.00 MORE than the Actual Bid I Won the car for in the No Reserve Auction. I immediately contacted the Seller directly (a dealership) and they said; "You didn't really think we could sell you the car that cheap did you", and announced they were keeping my $500.00 deposit for "their trouble". After days of wrangling, little help from E-bay, they finally overnighted my money back after I announced I was getting on a plane and would be in their face in about 2 hours, just because of the principle of the thing. I've had great E-bay experiences too, just remote car buying can be risky is all I'm saying.
"No matter what happens, nobody gets out alive"

Last edited by Lees68GMC; 12-23-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Lees68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepenguin99 View Post
Probably missing the original engine when he got it or something along those lines. The spid confirms it as a bb/sb/cst. Would love to have this truck but I would need more garage space. My "patina" truck happily sits out in the elements without complaint. Couldn't do that with this one =).
Explain the missing holes in the core support for the AC tubes. Somebody's trying to pull a fast one in my opinion

And what's up with the crooked fan shroud, different top clamps?
Old 12-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
65standard

How do you have a matching numbers Camaro engine?

Also, do you guys consider light red as hugger orange?

1953 Chevy 3100 392 Hemi w/727 & 9” Ford
1985 Chevy C/10 6.0L 4L80 373 locker
65standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

This truck is very nice and I hope whoever buys it enjoys owning, driving and using the truck and not worry about the nit picky stuff.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #13
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
This truck is very nice and I hope whoever buys it enjoys owning, driving and using the truck and not worry about the nit picky stuff.
It's not really about that, It's about the representation of the sale
Old 12-23-2014, 11:12 PM   #14
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
It's not really about that, It's about the representation of the sale
Agreed, I only pointed out things that were contrary to things stated in the auction description. It would stink for someone to pay top dollar for this truck thinking they were getting a factory correct restoration (in "show truck" condition) only to find out that it had been misrepresented. I realize many of the folks on here could spot most of the inaccuracies but we get new members all the time.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
thepenguin99

Changing the subject a little but what do you guys think this truck is worth or will sell for?
Old 12-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #16
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Beautiful truck. I hope he gets a fortune for it.
x2

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 12-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #17
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by already gone View Post
this truck is very nice and i hope whoever buys it enjoys owning, driving and using the truck and not worry about the nit picky stuff.
x2.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #18
Mapearso

Not sure I'd buy a truck on eBay from this guy. He's only got 97.8% positive feedback. Here's what was in the feedback section on another C-10 he sold -- I just cut and pasted it

BUYER --
Blatantly misrepresented. Body, Paint, & Mechanical poor condition. BEWARE!
m***g

SELLER --
Reply by 68_gmc (Jan-26-14 12:07):
nice paint body! needs a new choke cable Sorry its a old truck only 7k! UP FRONT

ITEM --
Chevrolet : C-10 Custom10 (#191015410444) US $7,202.00
Mapearso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
jocko

For the originality nuts (of which I proudly consider myself a card-carrying member) - just look at this SPID: This was born as a big block shortie CST with tach and buckets. Yes, it has a non-original 396 in it, which the owner states. Yes it wasn't two-tone originally. However, there are very few trucks out there that are returned to the way they were rolled off the factory assembly line. The point is that THIS truck, if restored to original, would be a gem. And the mods that have been done aren't gaudy or distasteful at all in my opinion - originality nuts like us can pretty quickly correct any personal annoyances that this seller may have done to his own taste. No, I wouldn't have put houndstooth inserts on an original bucket seat truck, but many folks do. Not the end of the world. I probably wouldn't have lowered it - but it's a static drop, not a bagged truck - easily un-lowered, if that's what you prefer.

This is being discussed in many threads right now (originality/seller claims, etc). Let's face it, on average, most sellers (on ebay, craigslist, etc) are way overstating what they have for sale. Not all, but most. Common sense and the common collective knowledge on this site makes us the experts - and the pickiest buyers on earth. This is a good thing - we're all informed buyers because of this site. And we're here to help each other out. Especially those joining our ranks that are new to these trucks. All of us were new at some point and many have learned most of what they know here. My 1st was a 72 Cheyenne when I was about 19 - that was a long, long time ago. But I've had several since then. I knew motors and trucks and "stuff" before - BUT, I've learned more about THESE trucks on here - from you all - as we all learn something from each other.

But in the case of this truck, aside from the seller mis-using what we think of the term original to mean, it's a very, very nice truck. As is, or restored to actual original. It's a not so rough diamond in the rough. Only "rough" if you want it perfectly restored, in the strictest sense of the word. As is, it's still a Saturday night hero.

To ME, I'm more interested in what the SPID says - and what I want to do with the truck after I have it in my own hands, rather than what someone else has done with/to it in the past. Granted, some mods we've seen are irreversible, and quite frankly, piss me off. But the beauty of this hobby is that beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. Something for everyone, and everyone has different tastes. I would love to have this truck. For how it is, or for how I'd resto it if I owned it. Again, a big block swb CST with buckets and a tach. Aye caramba, these don't come out of the woodwork every day.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #20
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65standard View Post
Also, do you guys consider light red as hugger orange?
They are two different colors. Can sometimes be hard to differentiate seen separately, depending on the lighting and the camera used, but side by side, you can tell.
Here you go - light red vs. hugger orange:
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #21
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
For the originality nuts (of which I proudly consider myself a card-carrying member) - just look at this SPID: This was born as a big block shortie CST with tach and buckets. Yes, it has a non-original 396 in it, which the owner states. Yes it wasn't two-tone originally. However, there are very few trucks out there that are returned to the way they were rolled off the factory assembly line. The point is that THIS truck, if restored to original, would be a gem. And the mods that have been done aren't gaudy or distasteful at all in my opinion - originality nuts like us can pretty quickly correct any personal annoyances that this seller may have done to his own taste. No, I wouldn't have put houndstooth inserts on an original bucket seat truck, but many folks do. Not the end of the world. I probably wouldn't have lowered it - but it's a static drop, not a bagged truck - easily un-lowered, if that's what you prefer.

This is being discussed in many threads right now (originality/seller claims, etc). Let's face it, on average, most sellers (on ebay, craigslist, etc) are way overstating what they have for sale. Not all, but most. Common sense and the common collective knowledge on this site makes us the experts - and the pickiest buyers on earth. This is a good thing - we're all informed buyers because of this site. And we're here to help each other out. Especially those joining our ranks that are new to these trucks. All of us were new at some point and many have learned most of what they know here. My 1st was a 72 Cheyenne when I was about 19 - that was a long, long time ago. But I've had several since then. I knew motors and trucks and "stuff" before - BUT, I've learned more about THESE trucks on here - from you all - as we all learn something from each other.

But in the case of this truck, aside from the seller mis-using what we think of the term original to mean, it's a very, very nice truck. As is, or restored to actual original. It's a not so rough diamond in the rough. Only "rough" if you want it perfectly restored, in the strictest sense of the word. As is, it's still a Saturday night hero.

To ME, I'm more interested in what the SPID says - and what I want to do with the truck after I have it in my own hands, rather than what someone else has done with/to it in the past. Granted, some mods we've seen are irreversible, and quite frankly, piss me off. But the beauty of this hobby is that beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. Something for everyone, and everyone has different tastes. I would love to have this truck. For how it is, or for how I'd resto it if I owned it. Again, a big block swb CST with buckets and a tach. Aye caramba, these don't come out of the woodwork every day.
I agree with you Mark !!!

Old 12-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #22
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post

Well said.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #23
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I think the truck was well bought and I hope the new owner will really enjoy it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevy-C...vip=true&rt=nc