The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Is This The Correct Intake Manifold

The weather's starting to change and I'm getting restless. I have a fresh set of Vortec 062 heads that I'm thinking of putting
on my (I think) '79 block. I have the casting numbers somewhere, but it's definitely running pre-Vortec heads. (see pics)

The Ede Performer/Street DeMon combo works well now. And, when the time's right, I'm stepping up to a heftier small block using the
062 heads in question. I simply don't have the dough right now...and I feel like tinkering.

I want, and have to, buy a new intake manifold and gaskets to make the change, so I'm asking for a verification of the proper part.
I've got the valve covers and valve cover "bolts". Wondering what else I'll need....I'd like to buy the manifold only once.

Is this Edelbrock manifold in the pic/ad the correct one? Anyone know a better choice for this low hp application.

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 10-12-2014 at 10:26 PM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
chiefcfd

Re: Is This The Correct Intake Manifold

My truck is at the painters, but I'm pretty sure that was the model I put on my Vortec engine.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
ole dollor

I am not an expert on this , but the newer type intake man. bolts go straight down and not at a angle , like the old small blocks use to. I think that is what you are asking .
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
I am not an expert on this , but the newer type intake man. bolts go straight down and not at a angle , like the old small blocks use to. I think that is what you are asking .
Exactly, ole D.

Here are the Vortec heads .......sitting on the future roller block for storage.

The "to-be" first application is 4 Bbl carb to Vortec heads on an older 350.

The bolts go into the Vortec heads straight down on a 90˚ to the horizon. Instead of a 30˚ or 45°. Or whatever they are into the older stock heads.

Lots'a folks do this mod. I just want to have the right intake. And maybe get some options to the Edelbrock that work.
But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 10-13-2014 at 01:33 AM.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:32 AM   #5
mechanicalman

[QUOTE=magwakeenercew2jh;6876416]The weather's starting to change and I'm getting restless. I have a fresh set of Vortec 062 heads that I'm thinking of putting
on my (I think) '79 block. I have the casting numbers somewhere, but it's definitely running pre-Vortec heads.

Is this Edelbrock manifold in the pic/ad the correct one? Anyone know a better choice for this low hp application.

Yes it's correct for those heads and spread bore carb and no, I don't know of anything better for a low hp application AND it looks cool. Use Edelbrock's gaskets, bolts and torque specs for the intake.

They are likely smaller combustion chambers than what you have now, they are about 64cc. Those heads work great with dish pistons and a small cam, like the 350HO 330HP set-up.

Regardless of compression get the thinnest head gasket you can, like a steel shim .015" fel-pro as long as you have at least .025" piston to deck keeping piston to head clearance as close as possible to around .040" for quench to keep it resistant to detonation/ping.

Note that Edelbrock recommends the RPM version for the higher 6500 RPM performance applications so the one pictured is good from idle to 5500.

Say goodbye to valve cover leaks and have fun with the new torque when the time comes.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
picklito

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
The Ede Performer/Street DeMon combo works well now.
Ironic. I just bought a Street Demon 1901 for my factory '70 402 BBC, and have been scouring the internet for any comments on how this carb "fits" on the Performer spread bore intake. And where do I find the answer??? Right here on our own 67-72.

So, any comments on how the throttle bore sizes and that goggle valve fit the intake?

If anybody else has a Street Demon & intake combo they can comment on, that would be great, too! Thx.
picklito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
outdoorsman310

That is a vortec manifold. I got a summit intake for mine. The summit intake doesn't seem like the best quality but I think it will work well.
outdoorsman310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
Lattimer

As long as it says Vortec----it will fit the Vortec heads. I have an Edelbrock performer knock off that came with my Vortec crate motor and it works well.

I also have the Street Demon 625, think sits model 1900, and I like it. It worked perfect right out of the box on my 327. When I put in the new engine I had to go up 2 sizes on the accelerator pump nozzle and switch the linkage to the highest setting. Also had to do the maximum delay on the air door to get the bog out. When I talked to Demon tech support they told me that the more aggressive your cam is the more accelerator pump you need and the slower you want the secondaries coming in.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote