The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #26
snj8198

Re: 14 bolt Full-Floater Locker Help?

hmm... 3 things.

first, i believe there are only 2 carrier series for the 14bolt and yes the aftermarket thick cut gear sets are for use in the first series carrier but i've never installed or monkeyed with a set so i dont know how much set up deviation there will be.

second, when choosing a set of gears for a tire size, remember that we dont use the rated tire size on paper rather use the actual "static load height" of tire which is the actual measurement from the center of the axle shaft to the ground with the tire properly aired and all expected load on the truck. the difference between the rated tire size and the actual load height are very different and there are many variables that change this measurement, ie, wheel/tire combo, air pressure to ensure proper tire to ground contact, vehicle and load weight, etc. Most tires' actual load height is much less than their size rating such as your 40's, they measure out probably closer to 38", not to mention you are actually taking the static load height which is a radius and multiplying that by 2 probably getting you closer to a 37" tire, thus throwing your output values for your cruise calculation way off. This lower tire height value, once found, will compute to a higher cruise rpm speed than what you originally calculated. It's real world vs simulation differences.

third, you wont like towing with a rear locker. bangs and clanks of the locker engaging and disengaging while turning will definitely let you know it's back there, as well as tire chirping, accelerated wear with a 40's soft rubber compound will have you rethinking the full time Detroit locker in a towing application. Do you live in a winter climate and will this truck be used to tow in adverse weather conditions and slick roads? AAA?

Just some things to think about. I run the Grizzly locker in mine and question my decision from time to time.

steve
Old 12-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #27
74CustomK20

I just mention the "thick" gears to try and get out of buying another carrier. I like strength but if I can save about 200 bucks I see no reason not.
As far as towing, it will RARELY be used to tow with in the first place but occasionally will have to. I use my ranger mostly as a tow truck and DD but if the load is too much the big truck gets it. I used it only twice to tow while it had the 12 bolt and 40's... Did OK with the gears but honestly I had to use low every time.
As far as actual tire height, you are saying that after its all said and done, I will lose anywhere from 2-4" in height? If so I WILL rethink regearing... Maybe leave it or 4.56's...
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
74CustomK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #28
74CustomK20

Good news everyone! I could out I have an open carrier, as it has 4... Indention bolts? Or idk how they are pronounced honestly. Anyway I do not need a new carrier and the shop teacher told me that it all looked good gears bearings n all. So I just need my locker.
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #29
b454rat

I believe it's called a 4 pin carrier. Tho there are only two, but when you rotate it looks like 4. Once you take the carrier out, take ring gear bolts off and take ring gear off, the carrier will split, then you can take the spider gears out and pins, install the locker and put it back together, essentially. I think there is a " technic" when installed the locker, been years and can't remember. But what's nice bout the 14b locker, wont' have to reset or shim the gears.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #30
74CustomK20

Yea 4 pin... And the tech has a lot of exerience so u trust him. IMA order the summit one n leave the gears alone. He's got the brakes off and will replace them. I'd do it but working 7-12's it just ain't happenin lol
79 C70 366 Project Dump.