The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #1
HSRACER

Help with some parting out advice

I am parting a truck out for the first time and am trying to avoid rookie mistakes. Here is an example: I have a request for the end caps off of the upper bed trim. Will I hurt myself by removing the ends from both the complete pieces of trim and reduce the value to almost nothing or are both pieces equally valuable?

I don't know the value of things so I didn't want to turn a 100 dollar set into a 20 dollar mistake. Any advice on the senecio and others would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for my education!!!
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS

Last edited by HSRACER; 01-03-2015 at 10:51 PM.
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Help with some parting out advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSRACER View Post
I am parting a truck out for the first time and am trying to avoid rookie mistakes. Here is an example: I have a request for the end caps off of the upper bed trim. Will I hurt myself by removing the ends from both the complete pieces of trim and reduce the value to almost nothing or are both pieces equally valuable?

I don't know the value of things so I didn't want to turn a 100 dollar set into a 20 dollar mistake. Any advice on the senecio and others would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for my education!!!

I think I would keep them together. He can buy the whole thing and sell what he doesn't need.... I don't sell a lot of parts (I strip them out and keep everything)..... so I can't help a lot on that end of things....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:16 AM   #3
michael bustamante

Sell trim as a package if you can. Itll match much better
Old 01-04-2015, 01:55 AM   #4
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

What is your gut telling you to do, listen to it because its gonna be right. I agree though keep the molding together. To me that is the same a taking the tach out of a tach dash.... there goes the value

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Sell parts complete. If someone asks how much for just the piece they need tell them same price, buy it all and sell what you don't need if you don't want spare parts laying around. The only exception would be if the piece they need still leaves you with the more sought after and valuable part. Like if they wanted the trim w/o the ends.

When I first had to start selling parts I had the good stuff. At Carlisle Trucks I was selling a complete set of upper and lower LWB Cheyenne Super trim and a pair of CUCV K/30 axles. I had people trying to buy just the cab forward because they had a SWB and people wanting just the front Dana60 axle. I learned people will try any angle and don't care how you come out as long as they get what they want. You need to work with people to sell, but you have to stick to one simple thing... It's your sale and you are the only one who sets the terms of your sale. When the kind of guy comes up who starts off telling you how it's going to go you have to turn that around right there. You have it and he wants it. Some people only want it if they can get a steal. It's up to you how bad you need to get rid of it or how bad you need the money. In most cases those guys who beat you down are turning around and selling it at top dollar with thanks to you to their larger profit. It's your sale, you make the rules

"How much w/o the bed trim?"
"Not breaking it up"
"But I only need the cab forward, I have a shortbed, Nobody does longbeds, how bout $xxx w/o the bed trim...blah blah?"
"Buy it all and sell what you don't need, I was doing a longbed, the guy I bought it from was doing a longbed, and I'll sell it to a guy doing a longbed...or one with a shortbed wise enough to know he can easily get good money for what he doesn't need." And finally, "If all you want is the cab forward I'll keep the bed trim and take the same amount I want for it all".

Same with the axles*..."I don't need the rear, how much w/o the rear,etc?"
"Same price you buy both or just the front. Sell the rear (Detroit Locker) and get a better deal on the front"

*The front had a TruTrac

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
HSRACER

Great advice gentlemen. Thanks so much for your help!
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote