The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
rcsbls2

Hard to find ER70s-7 Mig Wire

Have been reading in post about Er70s-7 mig wire having some easier grinding properties and being somewhat softer weld bead. But then lots of discussion that no one can find any. Here in my home town the local welding supplier told me they will look into getting me some.... then 5 days later called and was told they don't have source.
I have been searching the net looking for it .. Some places show its available but are wholesale companies. Dealers only. Seems to be .035 and .030 sizes. Why is this stuff not listed and available if its so good for sheet metal work we're all trying to weld and grind?
Did finally find some .023 listed on Ebay!!!!So it is available from Queen Welding Supply in Aurora Ill. Found on Ebay as fillermetalqueen. Blue Demon 33# roll. My Miller 175 can only hold a 8# roll! So I contacted them and they will rewind on to 8# rolls for $1.00/lb. From that I assume I would receive 3 x 8# rolls. They want $79.86 for roll,$33 to reroll and $24.22 freight= $137.08. If I calculate that back to cost per pound its $4.15 a pound. I can buy ER70s-6 right here uptown for less than $2.00 /lb.

So two questions
1) Does anyone actually have experience with this alloy? Not just read about in someone else's post.
2) Is this wire worth buying considering I don't use a lot, 33# will last me over a year? and will I be able to tell difference ?

So mainly I want everyone to know IT'S AVAILABLE, how its sold and not just I heard but can't find!!!

Just thought of 3rd question....

Is this best place to put this information?
Attached Images

rcsbls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
rcsbls2

Re: Hard to find ER70s-7 Mig Wire

Well I tried to research more and read post by MP&C and EBFABMAN.

Based on that I bought the 33# and they ar going to respool for me.

I'll try it and see what I can do with it. Don't know how Spoolarc eg and ER70s-7 differ but probably similar?
Old 10-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
tinydb84

I could never find it except in large roles. I'm not at the body work portion of my truck so I haven't tried real hard to get it though.

I know wire goes bad (rusts) and I have heard use it within 6 months but I have also used much older wire. I don't know what I would do with 33lbs. I probably have 4lbs in my Z/body drop/notches/arms/etc. Maybe sell some of the rolls on here to make up the cost?

In for other peoples answers....
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

7 has significantly higher Manganese and if your welding in your garage attached to the house you can make your house air toxic. It can cause Parkinson's like problems and liver damage from the increased exposure. It is an industrial wire for use in larger spools that professional welder use in well ventilated areas. Your better off with 3 if you need it for the home.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
rcsbls2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
I could never find it except in large roles. I'm not at the body work portion of my truck so I haven't tried real hard to get it though.

I know wire goes bad (rusts) and I have heard use it within 6 months but I have also used much older wire. I don't know what I would do with 33lbs. I probably have 4lbs in my Z/body drop/notches/arms/etc. Maybe sell some of the rolls on here to make up the cost?

In for other peoples answers....
Yes I agree...I received wire yesterday. Have sold at least 1 roll to a guy down the road who does work on custom builds. He wants to try it and may even take 2.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
rcsbls2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
7 has significantly higher Manganese and if your welding in your garage attached to the house you can make your house air toxic. It can cause Parkinson's like problems and liver damage from the increased exposure. It is an industrial wire for use in larger spools that professional welder use in well ventilated areas. Your better off with 3 if you need it for the home.
I never have used this wire before. I read posts in this forum that it will be better for what I'm doing, softer weld for grinding and a smaller crown. Appreciate your comment regarding the toxic fumes, My garage it not attached to the house but I do breath while out there. Does this mean we should wear breathing protection while welding? I'm doing sheet metal work for the most part and stack spot welds togather at a slow pace. Don't smoke garage up but fumes are still there. Don't recall why 7 is recommended over 3 but will read up on it again.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

3 is the most common for thin sheet metal, clean oil free and little to not rust flash over. 6 for dirty metal that has contaminants or mill scale. Nothing welds through rust. It has more oxidizers that 3. 7 is not a hard as 6 but is harder than 3 so if grinding is what your after 3 should be easier to work with on sheet. Plate with mill scale or surface rust you would use a different wire

You should be doing short weld and grinding right after so your doing small beads

3 also has lower silicon and if you get "silicon islands" in the weld it will make the paint flake off in that spot. 6 does give a falter bead

So if your welding on clean metal for both pieces use something like a Lincoln Superarc L-50 which is a 3 and if joining clean to dirty use a Superarc L-56 which is a 6, Use a good quality wire don't buy the cheapest
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
MP&C

Since posting about the ER70S7, I've bought a new Miller 211 Mig, and am using the spool of .023 EZ grind. It has quite a bit of splatter compared to what I was getting with the -7, so I'll likely be getting some new -7. Have you tried your new stuff to see how well it works for you? Or do you have a spare 8# roll you'd like to part with? If so, PM me the details. The -7 I have presently is .035, I'd like to try the -7 in the .023......