The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #1
BrianG

Fender question

I need some help with a fender question. After getting my truck back from the body shop this fall, something didn't quite look right on the fenders. We ended up using aftermarket, which I wasn't really all that excited about, but there were some issues with my originals and things were starting to get sketchy at the body shop (different story for a different time). The part that 'most' looks off to me with these fenders is right behind the wheel. Instead of following the creased body line from the door, the fender bowed in toward the center of the truck significantly along this body line. The line stays parallel to the ground, but bows inward. I was able to get a good amount of this bow out by playing around with and cleaning up some obstructions with the bottom fender mount, but the fender still bows in some where around a quarter of an inch. I have tried to take a picture, but by myself if just didn't turn out. the truck is black and you just couldn't really see what I'm trying to explain. So, could some of you please try taking a look and see if your fenders do this. All I did is put a straight edge along the lower body line in the door. What I want to know is, does the fender stay along this straight edge, or does it bow in slightly toward the center of the truck, and if so, by about how much. I'd love to see a couple of examples, maybe original and aftermarket fenders.... If it shouldn't bow in, I'd also love to hear any idea about how to fix this problem.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
65standard

Re: Fender question

You just may need to shim the fender out at the lower mounting bolt

1953 Chevy 3100 392 Hemi w/727 & 9” Ford
1985 Chevy C/10 6.0L 4L80 373 locker
65standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65standard View Post
You just may need to shim the fender out at the lower mounting bolt
That would not work. The fender sits pretty flush with the door. The fender just bows in. If you ran a string down the lower body line of the door, so that it was touching the door, there would be a gap between the string and the fender at the wheel well.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:22 PM   #4
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I need some help with a fender question. After getting my truck back from the body shop this fall, something didn't quite look right on the fenders. We ended up using aftermarket, which I wasn't really all that excited about, but there were some issues with my originals and things were starting to get sketchy at the body shop (different story for a different time). The part that 'most' looks off to me with these fenders is right behind the wheel. Instead of following the creased body line from the door, the fender bowed in toward the center of the truck significantly along this body line. The line stays parallel to the ground, but bows inward. I was able to get a good amount of this bow out by playing around with and cleaning up some obstructions with the bottom fender mount, but the fender still bows in some where around a quarter of an inch. I have tried to take a picture, but by myself if just didn't turn out. the truck is black and you just couldn't really see what I'm trying to explain. So, could some of you please try taking a look and see if your fenders do this. All I did is put a straight edge along the lower body line in the door. What I want to know is, does the fender stay along this straight edge, or does it bow in slightly toward the center of the truck, and if so, by about how much. I'd love to see a couple of examples, maybe original and aftermarket fenders.... If it shouldn't bow in, I'd also love to hear any idea about how to fix this problem.

Maybe these illustrations will help to explain what I am asking. Credit these illustrations to LMC. The first one is the original illustration with a red line drawn along the bottom of the door. As the illustration shows, the fender seems to follow this same straight line. The second one I made a slight change, which tries to show what my fenders actually do. They turn in towards the middle of the truck. The line stays straight all along the door and as it starts on the fender, but by the time you get to the wheel well, there is a quarter of an inch or so of a gap between the line and the fender. Hopefully some of you that read this can take a quick look with a straight edge and verify if this is normal.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
chiefcfd

Probably too late now. But should have been pulled out a little before paint. Aftermarket fenders need to be massaged most of the times. I pulled a NOS fender like that for the same reason. Used a ratchet strap hooked to the wall.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:46 PM   #6
michael bustamante

It was prob. Sitting on the shelf end up and the corner got turned in. You might have to hook up a ratchet strap and pull it out
Old 01-04-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
BrianG

Also... Both fenders do this. about the same amount. Is it a common thing to have to pull this out? When some of you with all original trucks get a chance PLEASE run a straight edge along the bottom of the door for me and see if this was something the factory did.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:32 AM   #8
tcrist

Brian,

I have a 70 and both fenders turn in. Actually the drivers side turns in about 1/2" and the passengers side only about 1/4".

Both fenders are original 1970 fenders.

You might be able to hold it out using a fender brace if it bothers you a bunch.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
WIDESIDE72

This is pretty common even with oem fenders.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #10
Nsanehotrodz

The only way to fix this problem correctly is to drill out the spot welds at the bottom of the fender where it connects at the brace. Then pull the fender out and weld it back.
Tennessee's #1 HotRod Shop!
Nsanehotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
BrianG

So, was this a "you get what you get" thing even from the factory? What I mean is, where they sometimes turned in a little but not all the time? Anyone know if it is more common for them to be turned in, or to not be turned in? ...I can't believe that I haven't noticed this until now, and now it just bothers me. I suppose if I knew that it was common, or even supposed to be that way from the factory, then it would bother me a little less.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
Sammy

Criteria I have always heard during manufacturing was plus or minus 1/4" and 1/8" on gaps. If it bothers you it is going to require some shimming to make it less prevalent.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #13
Sammy

Looking through the Assy. Manual I found .16 door gap and + - .06 flushness to rocker panel to lower fender with note to shim as necessary. So .06 is a rather tight tolerance. looks like some serious shimming for you.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #14
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Looking through the Assy. Manual I found .16 door gap and + - .06 flushness to rocker panel to lower fender with note to shim as necessary. So .06 is a rather tight tolerance. looks like some serious shimming for you.
It is not something that can be shimmed. The gap is okay and the fender sits relatively flush with the door and rocker. It is from that point that the fender bows inward instead of following the same line as the bottom of the door or the rocker.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #15
tcrist

I think that it was designed into the fender on purpose. Sort of like an air deflector or just so the air does not catch in there and slow the truck down
Old 01-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #16
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
I think that it was designed into the fender on purpose. Sort of like an air deflector or just so the air does not catch in there and slow the truck down
That's funny!

I was looking at the stock trucks thread on here and it appears that many of the stock trucks had this same issue, but maybe not all. I'm surprised that I've never noticed this before, I must have looked at hundreds of these trucks before.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #17
waldoes68

I had the same problem on a 69 i just put together last week with orig. GM fenders, real easy fix, just loosen the bolt at the back of the inner fender-well were it bolts to the front cab brace & pry or rachet strap into place & tighten bolt, it was that easy.
waldoes68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:20 PM   #18
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldoes68 View Post
I had the same problem on a 69 i just put together last week with orig. GM fenders, real easy fix, just loosen the bolt at the back of the inner fender-well were it bolts to the front cab brace & pry or rachet strap into place & tighten bolt, it was that easy.
I got it straightened out a little by pulling on it real hard with one hand and then tightening that bolt with the other. Couldn't get it all though. I'll try using a ratchet strap and see if I can get it to go a little further. Thanks.