The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
wphilli1

New Guy on the Block

Hey Guys,
I have been lurking around her for a few months and finally took some pics of the new truck, so I figured I'd introduce myself. I just got this '58 3100, and am loving it so far. Its got all stock suspension and running gear, but with a 305 Chevy Smallblock and a TH350 trans. Short term plans so far are to replace the 305, which is old and worn, with a mild street 355 and and rewire the whole thing so everything works again. Long term I want to throw the 4 wheel drive gear out of a k5 or k10 under it on the stock frame, replacing the TH350 with the 700r4 from the donor truck. I have seen quite a few 44 conversions like that on this board and think they look fantastic and will give me the modern touches that will make this an awesome truck, as it will be my driver for the next few years at least. What I have been wondering about is how the running gear from a Zr2 Blazer or Sonoma would fit underneath the stock frame, and if anyone has tried a full swap using Zr2 gear.

Thanks so far for all of the awesome info I've gotten so far off this forum, and for all I'm sure I'll be getting in the future.

Wylie
Attached Images

wphilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: New Guy on the Block

Welcome, looks like a really good driver. You probably looked at my 4wd conversion thread, 74 drive train but applicable for 73-82 k10-20 donors. If GM kept the same spring configuration after 83 then later axles should work, if not, probably just a matter of relocating the spring pads on the axles and figuring out the shocks.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
wphilli1

Re: New Guy on the Block

Orrie,
I have read about half of that thread and its where a lot of the inspiration for my plans have come from, especially the choice to keep the stock frame as I just love the height and stance of your truck. From what I understand, the ZR2 rear end is a pretty easy fit under our trucks, but I haven't heard about anyone using the front axle or the rest of the 4x4 gear on it. I think it would make for a nice swap, as you'd get power steering and brakes along with front discs using both axles.

'58 Apache 3100 4-Eyed Work Truck
wphilli1 is offline   Reply With Quote