The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
SCOTI

Replacement Lenses

I want to get some replacement lenses for my dually project. I'm not interested in LED or new style clear lenses & prefer to keep things OE appearing as far as the trim goes.
What have you used & were you happy w/the quality?

I need:
  • tail light lenses w/chrome trim
  • front dually box side marker lenses w/trim
  • rear dually box side marker lenses w/trim
  • front fender side marker lenses w/trim

I have searched the net. I found several sources but it seems only a couple have everything & I'm not sure of their supplier (thus quality; I've seen some repop tail lenses where the chrome trim was loose as can be out of the box).

My search for NOS stuff will continue, but I always like to have a Plan-B.

Thanks....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Replacement Lenses

Scot, you're gonna puke at my answer, but I use Certifit for my lenses. Local and they fit just fine. Never had one of the notorious loose trims on any of them either (I have on mail order lenses though). They're in south Arlington. Cheap, and you unbox them and look at them with your own two eyes before walking out the door with them.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
dfrank

The two new tailight lenses I got from lmc truck a few years ago where GM lenses. I don't know if they are still selling the GM ones or not. May have to call them. Classic Industries used to have GM ones as well.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
dfrank

I just checked the new classic industries catalog and they still have original gm tail lamp lenses.

Part # without chrome trim
-LH G2360
-RH G2361

I think you can get replacement chrome trim for them to.

They also have GM fender marker lights although they don't have the trim and I am not sure if that is available. Even Classic Industries reproduction stuff has always seemed to be high quality to me.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Just call me Sean

Pep Boys has the taillight lenses for $20 each, but I haven't picked them up yet to check them out. Also, for some reason they say for Blazer and Suburban but not pickup, yet they're all the same.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
SCOTI

Thanks for the feedback guys.

LMC & Classic Industries were the 2 main suppliers I looked into as well as OER & Cheyenne Pickup Parts. I think Classic & Cheyenne were the only sources that I found all relevant parts for my needs. I couldn't find the side markers on LMC's site. Weird thing is Classic indicates "OE or replacement whichever is preferred" but don't list different p/n's so there no way to designate your desire for original when ordering online.

TX..... I'll check into Certifit. Didn't consider that source.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
dfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys.

LMC & Classic Industries were the 2 main suppliers I looked into as well as OER & Cheyenne Pickup Parts. I think Classic & Cheyenne were the only sources that I found all relevant parts for my needs. I couldn't find the side markers on LMC's site. Weird thing is Classic indicates "OE or replacement whichever is preferred" but don't list different p/n's so there no way to designate your desire for original when ordering online.

TX..... I'll check into Certifit. Didn't consider that source.
Just checked the book. The gm part nubers are

GM LH G3242
GM RH G3241

These dont have the trim though
Old 12-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Axle

Has anyone had their hands on the Grote rear lenses?

re loose chrome trim, are the aftermarket not like the oem? if they are, pliers and squeeze the retainer tabs tight...

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Has anyone had their hands on the Grote rear lenses?

re loose chrome trim, are the aftermarket not like the oem? if they are, pliers and squeeze the retainer tabs tight...

Alex.
I sell the Grote ones, and have used them on my last 87 (4dr R30), and they fit just fine with no loose retainers. I'll be buying a set tomorrow for my "new" 87 (V20), as well as their side markers.
Shifty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
SCOTI

To follow-up..... I purchased all my lenses through board vendor GMC Pauls. Prompt follow-up. Excellent communication about shipping after the sale & they arrived within days. I've had previous dealings w/them & will continue to bring them my business and/or refer them. All pcs indicate Made in USA....

That being said, the lenses lack OE details but should work fine. The trim isn't quite as 'bright' as OE, but very close. The side markers lack the black boarder behind the polished trim but some satin black w/a brush can fix that. The tail-light lenses don't seem to seat as close to the body as the OE units. They don't look bad per say, but the amount they 'poke' out doesn't sit well w/me. I'll go check out the 'Grotes' brand @ my local Advanced to see how well they compare since I know they're close by.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
Axle

Those little differences may be what keeps them from getting sued by GM for producing a non-authorized reproduction part. Change it a bit and it is simply a replacement part.

Alex.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Those little differences may be what keeps them from getting sued by GM for producing a non-authorized reproduction part. Change it a bit and it is simply a replacement part.

Alex.
Possible, but I don't believe GM made the lenses to begin with??

I pulled the polished trim off an old lense & swapped it over to a new one. Definitely a difference. The new trim is bright alum; the original appears to either be polished more so or chromed. The original trim matches the tailgate insert perimeter edges much better. The aftermarket trim would look fine against no-panel or one that is more brushed vs. polished/chrome.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
Shifty One

Also following up, I put the Grote ones on, and I'm very happy with fit and function.
Shifty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #14
SCOTI

I got different tail light lenses from Autozone. The Advanced had the Grotes line but no fleet tail lenses. Autozone had them & the trim was polished like the OE units so I got them.

I think the units from GMC Pauls would work fine if you don't have tailgate trim directly beside it as the diff was obvious w/my set-up.

On another note, I went to tape off the polished trim on the front/amber side marker lenses to paint the black border that's not there. While taping off the 1st one, the trim easily came off. I checked the 2nd one (just barely picking @ it) & it came off as well. The weird thing is the trim on the rear/red lenses appears to be firmly in place for both sides. So now I have to adhere the trim back on securely.

Not sure what I'm going to use as my bonding agent yet.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #15
Axle

Silicone will do the job.