The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
msg

Windshield removal on 66 - possible to save gasket?

I was looking through the site and found comments and feedback on removing the windshield by cutting the gasket, but my gasket seems to be in decent shape and wondered if its best to just buy a new gasket or is there a way to remove without cutting up the gasket and or breaking the glass?
msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
frankslagoon

Re: Windshield removal on 66 - possible to save gasket?

The windshield. goes in with the gasket on so ya would think you could get it out with the gasket on. Ya Right. I don,t think you will have much luck savin the windshield. Winsheilds are a lot more expensive than a gasket ?
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
Rockit

I believe there is a YouTube video of a guy who takes his window out and saves the gasket and reuses it on the new window. He used a hook tool to work the gasket out, didn't look like it was that hard to get out.
Rockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
jayoldschool

I think a pro windshield guy(s) could do it easily. Me... not so much. I plan to cut mine out, and try installing a new one myself. If I break the glass, I'll call in the pros.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockit View Post
I believe there is a YouTube video of a guy who takes his window out and saves the gasket and reuses it on the new window. He used a hook tool to work the gasket out, didn't look like it was that hard to get out.
Not sure if this is the video, but I watched this being done on a 67-72 chevy truck and tried it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOU_0HpS7To

Although in the video they dont mention reusing the gasket they dont cut the gasket out.

So I took a cotter pin removal tool since I didnt have a hook tool and started to pry back a section. Then I took some plastic trim removal tools and gently pushed them into place as I pressed the glass with my hand flat against the glass. After a a few pushes and a few trim removal tools inserted it started to give way.

The one thing I had trouble with was the chrome insert towards the center top in the gasket got pinched against the roof as I was pushing. If I were to have inserted a plastic shim in the center like I was doing on the left side it might have kept the gasket from rising up in that spot and catching the roof.

I got lucky, in the end it all popped out with no damage to the gasket.

msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:45 PM   #6
Blue666(2)

I used about 20 flat screwdrivers to help me pull my windshield & gasket in one piece. My gasket was only about eight years old. I think older gaskets would be much tougher to save.

Start at the top center & work in both directions, push out a little when you get the corners out. When you get half the sides worked free, it should all come out. Lay some cardboard or blankets on the hood just in case.
Blue666(2) is offline   Reply With Quote