The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #1
dm motorsports

motor mount questions with pics

Hi guys. I read this fourm everyday but never post, I'm in need of some help. I bought a 70 2wd that was a basket case, I basically bought 3 truck loads of parts from a guy who took it apart, lost 1/2 of it and then got overwhelmed. I've been picking away at it over the last 6months as time and money is available, and its coming along great (thanks mostly to this fourm). The truck came with no engine or glove box door, i'm guessing it was a 3 on the tree and a 6cyl. Anyway i built a little TBI 350 with a 700r4 that i'm putting in. I found the perches for the engine, so i bought a pair of new rubber mounts and plucked it in, I'm going to fab my own tranie mount.

I think the perches are wrong, the motor bolted in nicely but the crank pulley is hitting the front cross member. Have a look at the attached pics and I'd appreciate your advice. |I've read lots on this and im guessing i have the wrong perches and these are for a 6cyl maybe.

Please help
Attached Images

dm motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:27 AM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: motor mount questions with pics

Yup theyre kinda skinny like 6 cylinder towers. I have a set of v8 towers if youre interested
Old 01-18-2015, 01:05 AM   #3
cleanfreak

Couple of simple thoughts. Did the frame mounts bolt into the suspension x-member , no drilling? Your pics are all at a bit of an angle , but maybe the front cross member is bent? a couple more pictures from farther back might help. Good luck from a fellow Canadian! - Bob
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:59 AM   #4
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm motorsports View Post
Hi guys. I read this fourm everyday but never post, I'm in need of some help. I bought a 70 2wd that was a basket case, I basically bought 3 truck loads of parts from a guy who took it apart, lost 1/2 of it and then got overwhelmed. I've been picking away at it over the last 6months as time and money is available, and its coming along great (thanks mostly to this fourm). The truck came with no engine or glove box door, i'm guessing it was a 3 on the tree and a 6cyl. Anyway i built a little TBI 350 with a 700r4 that i'm putting in. I found the perches for the engine, so i bought a pair of new rubber mounts and plucked it in, I'm going to fab my own tranie mount.

I think the perches are wrong, the motor bolted in nicely but the crank pulley is hitting the front cross member. Have a look at the attached pics and I'd appreciate your advice. |I've read lots on this and im guessing i have the wrong perches and these are for a 6cyl maybe.

Please help
I'd compare it to another truck it may have a bent and twisted front cross-member. It's hard to tell for sure from the pictures I could be wrong.

If it is bent inward and/or twisted, I'd measure the frame horns to see if they are pulled in as well.
Attached Images

mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:04 AM   #5
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanfreak View Post
Couple of simple thoughts. Did the frame mounts bolt into the suspension x-member , no drilling? Your pics are all at a bit of an angle , but maybe the front cross member is bent? a couple more pictures from farther back might help. Good luck from a fellow Canadian! - Bob
Looks bent to me also. Here's mine with engine installed.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
michael bustamante

I think theyre right. That crossmember doesnt look right in your pics. Can you show a pic of yours the way the pic is taken in the above post?
Did you remove and reinstall the crossmember? It almost looks like the crossmembers turned around
Old 01-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:

Please help

Those perches are for a six. You nee the v8 perches like these:
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
mechanicalman

Quote:

Please help
I can't tell from the picture if you have your cab bolted up on the frame, I assume it's not.

If it is on the frame, install an HEI distributor and see if you have clearance for the cap and wires against the firewall. If you do, you don't need new perches.

If you don't have your cab on yet, I'd change over to SMALLBLOCK V-8 perches before dropping the cab. I think you CAN run big block perches, but it will cost more and they are harder to get hold of.

Couldn't help but notice the log style exhaust manifolds. Ram's horns are what came on it and flow lots better than the logs.

What I saw in the pictures looks nice.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
Crabass

Are the 2wd and 4wd small block perches the same?
Crabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
Mike C

No. The crossmembers are completely different between the two.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote